http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cf ... 5011&rfi=6

3-10 Track prev. Shannon Arnold
Jack Marrion
Sports Writer
Midland Reporter-Telegram
03/10/2006

By Jack Marrion

Sports Writer

Midland High's Shannon Arnold established herself as one of the up-and-coming pole vaulters in Texas last year, finishing seventh at the regional meet during the high school track season then earning a trip to the National Junior Olympics championships in July.

After experiencing success in 2005 the Lady Bulldogs' junior has set her sights higher. She set a personal best of 11 feet, 7 inches as a sophomore but is targeting 13 feet this year, a height that would likely qualify her to her first state meet.

Arnold admits she didn't vault as well as she'd hoped last April at the Region I-5A Meet in Lubbock. Though she cleared 10-6 she finished 1 1/2 feet short of a trip to state. The experience of competing at such a high level against a strong contingent of girls from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex has served her well, not only in Junior Olympic events but in her expectations for this year.

"I think I have a better shot this year just because I'm a year older," Arnold said. "Those other girls are in college now. It's going to be pretty intense. I think since I already have a regional meet under my belt from last year I'll know what to expect. I'll just come out and vault hard."

Arnold is not one to shy away from competition. In fact she has expressed a desire to compete against top talent more often than she is able to during the high school season.

She had such an opportunity last summer as a member of the Tall City Track Club, advancing through regional and state events to qualify for the Junior Olympics national meet in Indianapolis.

Arnold competed against other 15-16-year-olds the entire way and was among the best in her age group at each stop, including a strong showing at the state meet in Dallas.

"That's usually where the most competition is," she said. "There was about 25 girls and I think you had to make it in the top three to go to nationals and I got first."

Arnold finished 11th at the national championships with a vault of 10-6. Her height matched several athletes in a sixth-place tie but a missed attempt accounted for the difference in place.

She picked up right where she left off during the 2006 season, repeating as gold medalist at the Frenship Relays on Feb. 25 in Wolfforth, during which she barely missed a personal-record attempt of 11-8. She added another first-place finish last week in Lubbock and looks to improve on a silver medal from last year today at the West Texas Relays in Odessa.

Arnold has rapidly improved since taking up the sport as an eighth-grader, when she impressed Midland High pole vault coach Britt Narrell with her courage and effort. She improved to 10 feet by the end of her freshman year and narrowly missed a regional berth.

"She has a knack for doing this," Narrell said. "She's intelligent, learns technique. She may throw the shot or the discus or may be in a running event but she's always going to set aside time for this. I believe this is something she wants to do in the future."

Her progress and success have encouraged Arnold to concentrate her athletic efforts on pole vaulting. Despite earning a starting position on the varsity basketball team a year ago, Arnold opted to spend the winter preparing for track season.

Based on her long-term plans, which include a college scholarship, it could be the right decision.

"Actually when I get in college I'm going to train for the Olympics," Arnold said. "I'm going to try to go for the 2012 Olympics. I just need to get my goals straight and work for them."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:36 am

http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cf ... 5011&rfi=6

In terms of impressive individual performances the day belonged to Midland High, beginning with a district record by Arnold in the pole vault. Less than a week removed from a personal best vault of 11-8 the junior cleared 11-7 on Wednesday to break by one inch the mark set last year by Odessa High's Jessica Rodriguez.

Arnold didn't have much competition in the event as second-place finisher Kellye Branch of Central failed to clear 10-6. Arnold was so confident she could clear 11 feet that she opted to skip 10-6 as Branch attempted the height. But the district record served as motivation.

"It's always hard vaulting and never being pushed by someone," she said. "But I came in (Wednesday), I wanted to win and I wanted to get the record. That's what I did, so I'm pretty happy. I'm satisfied. That always helps me when I have a goal to get to."

Arnold attempted to extend her record with three shots at 12 feet. She missed all three, though barely scraping the bar with her hip on the final attempt. Arnold remains determined to clear that height, particularly as a quality field looms at the regional meet.

"We ordered a bigger pole, a 160, and it still hasn't come in," she said. "I had to order another one this past week so hopefully I'll get that in. I think if I can practice on that it'll give me that extra lift. I really think I can get (to 12 feet) once I get to regionals."

Return to “Texas”