Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Natasha Barthel (CA) 12-6

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:57 am

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 403820.htm

Pole vaulter Barthel back in form
SHE CLEARS 12-6 TO DEFEAT RIVAL ANTHONY
By Dennis Knight
Mercury News
The friendly rivalry between pole vaulters Tori Anthony and Natasha Barthel was nearly derailed in August when Barthel slipped on wet stairs at Raging Waters and suffered a broken left foot.

The St. Francis junior, the defending Central Coast Section champion, couldn't vault until January. As the track season began, Anthony, a junior from Castilleja, who regularly works out with Barthel, began to hit her stride as a vaulter.

The former gymnast cleared a CCS record of 13 feet, 2 inches, the best mark in the United States this year in only her second season competing in the sport.

On Friday night, the friends were battling for section supremacy once again. This time Barthel won, clearing a season best of 12-6 on her third attempt at the CCS Top 8 Track and Field Classic at Los Gatos High. Anthony was second at 12 feet.

``Natasha is technically the best vaulter in the section,'' said vault coach Scott Slover, who works with Barthel and Anthony. ``She is a patient and mature athlete and worked hard on developing her strength when her foot was hurt. Her technique is better than ever.''

Barthel, who was named the girls field athlete of the meet, pumped her fist in the pit when she cleared 12-6, the fourth-best mark in the nation this year, with room to spare. Then she attempted to better her meet record of 12-9 set last year, barely missing on one of her three attempts at 12-10.

``The key for me today was a big pole and a big plant,'' said Barthel, who also trains under St. Francis Coach Tom Tuite. ``I'm starting to get my speed back, and that's the biggest factor.''

Anthony was trying a longer eight-stride approach for the first time in competition and had some close misses at 12-6.

``It was a little different feeling for Tori on her approach,'' Slover said. ``But using the eight-stride approach is going to get her to the 13-6 or 14-foot level. We thought this was a good meet to try it out.''

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:06 pm

congratulations :D

Return to “California”