Learning to Pole Vault

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to the state of Washington

Moderator: Robert schmitt

seattlegal
PV Newbie
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Dan Metzler

Learning to Pole Vault

Unread postby seattlegal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Does anyone know of a place in the Seattle area where I can learn to pole vault? I am an active rock climber in my 20s and in good shape. I ran track in high school and college (long & triple jump, hurdles), but was unable to learn pole vaulting then for various reasons, despite a lifelong desire to.

I realize pole vaulting isn't a simple sport to "just pick up" later in life, but I'd love the opportunity to just try it out. If anyone knows of a camp/clinic/formal or informal setting to learn or general advice regarding this post, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Learning to Pole Vault

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Everything is pretty much winding down for the summer... the last all-comers meet is today and the high school coaches are in a no contact period with their athletes.

There is a year-round pole vault club in Everett: http://www.provaultnw.com/ProVaultNW.html

Later in the fall (October maybe?) there are pole vault clinics at UW. The information will be posted on gohuskies.com, probably in September.

In early March there are some camps in Seattle: http://www.nwpolevault.com/ (but the website is down right now).

In the spring it's mostly just HS stuff, but in the summer there are a bunch of clubs in the Seattle area that practice until late July/early August.

Return to “Washington”