vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

NEW 60-64 WORLD RECORD FOR JOHN ALTENDORF

Unread postby vaultwest » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:12 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO JOHN

It was my great pleasure to be competing at the Portland Masters track meet this past Saturday where I watched Master set a new World Record with a 3.91m - 12'10" vault bettering the old world record of 3.90m -
12' 9 3/4" by 1 CM.

It was an OK day warm but the wind was quite variable going from tailwind to crosswind to headwinds so one had to wait for a good wind or hope to be lucky enough to get a good wind while you were up.

John opened up around 12' then first set the American Record by jumping 3.84m - 12' 6 1/4" bettering the previous record of 3.83m - 12' 6 3/4" by 1 cm. As I remember it john opened up on a 14' 145 at his opening height and cleared on his first then at the American Record he stayed on that pole and blew through. So he went up to his 14' 150# and missed his second attempt at the record. He hesitated just a little and was a little bit under going from a 7 stride approach. So John did a very gutsy thing and since he felt like he needed a little more velocity moved his step back to an 8 stride approach for his third attempt and he cleared the record height easily.

Then at the World Record Height if I am remembering this correctly John just came down and cleared it easily with room to spare on his first attempt.

John then took three good attempts at 4.00m - 13' 1 1/2" and all three were close but John just couldn't quite leave the bar up.

It was great fun to watch John vault so well especially knowing how hard he has worked for this and how many injuries he has had to overcome to get to this point.

Well done John
Vault On

PS. Not sure but I bet Master's new Avitar is him clearing his new World Record. COOL
Last edited by vaultwest on Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:02 pm

Thanks vaultwest, you remember the events of the day very well. And yes, the new avatar is a frame from the video you took of the record jump.

It is a great pleasure to enter my 400th post on Pole Vault Power. I use this to confirm my recent 3.91m jump that bettered the 35 year old world record for men 60-64 held by Herbert Schmidt of Germany, set Oct 14, 1971. Although it is a pending record until ratified by the governing bodies, I trust this will occur.

I dedicate this effort to my high school coach Mr. Al Miller of The Dalles, Oregon. He first approached me in 1962 to try out for track and specifically the pole vault. Because I didn’t learn very quickly, Al stayed and worked with me after practices. Without his encouragement, I would never have vaulted.

I re-established contact with Al a few years ago at the State HS track meet. Since then we have written and I have visited him at his home and he looked me up at Reno pole vault summit. He was there to watch his grandson compete.

In early March of this year, Al suffered an aneurism that almost took his life. He has been recovering, but very slowly. He has to re-learn how to do all the basic things we do automatically, including walking. For a man that was an active runner all his life, this must be extremely difficult. Although I have “toldâ€Â

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Unread postby DBH027 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:35 pm

Congratulations John....nice work!

I hope to see you at the Hayward Classic later this month.

Dan

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:49 pm

congratulations, very inspirationional!!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:49 pm

Congrats John!! As the video you sent me shows, you're looking at 4m+ VERY soon! Great job! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

new recore

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:02 pm

Congratulation, John! Great job!!!

nambi
PV Fan

Unread postby nambi » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:53 pm

It should be noted that John broke the oldest masters world record, set in 1971.

Amazing! Great jumping, John.

CrossBarHOpper
PV Pro

Unread postby CrossBarHOpper » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:14 pm

Congrat!!!! :yes: :yes: i hope to still be able to jump as a master
hey guys! Abe Lincoln?
Sophmore PR 14'6"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Congratulations!! :star:

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:39 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. My jumping has happened as the result of so many fine athletes and coaches that have been willing to share their knowledge and love of this sport. I hope this can continue for many years. Thanks Becca for this forum where I first met many of these great people.

- master

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:43 pm

Apparently, your screen name, "Master", now reflects more than your age! LOL!! See you in Charlotte Buddy! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

2-15-46
PV Pro

WELL DONE!!!!!!

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:17 pm

I would like to see the jumps if you have them on video...bb1946@yahoo.com

Bob

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”