Another OPEN meet coming up in Birmingham

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Gary_vaulter
PV Fan
Expertise: HS/MS Coach, 81' HS State_Champ, Parent, Master's PR - 10'8" in June 2015
Lifetime Best: 13'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren

Another OPEN meet coming up in Birmingham

Unread postby Gary_vaulter » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:22 pm

I have been contacted about another indoor meet to be held at the Birmingham Crossplex.
It is billed as the "TFCUSA Indoor Nationals" and would be held Sunday March 1st, 2015.
It is another age-group meet, open to clubs/unattached, and has an "Open" division. So it's another chance for us old guys to have some fun.
Registration for it will be at www.coacho.com but I just checked and as of 12/30/14 it is not on their schedule yet.
I did want to put this on your radar though in case any of you were looking for a chance to get that one last indoor mark for the season.
I will update this post when I get any new information.

Gary_vaulter
PV Fan
Expertise: HS/MS Coach, 81' HS State_Champ, Parent, Master's PR - 10'8" in June 2015

Re: Another OPEN meet coming up in Birmingham

Unread postby Gary_vaulter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 pm

This meet is now OPEN for registration on Coach O
https://coachoregistration.com/dbi-bin/ ... &Team_Id=&

... and GOOD NEWS! They have added the Pole Vault for the "Open" division so here's a chance for us "masters" to get to jump indoors in a first class facility. Hope to see you there! :)

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby GasPasser » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:08 am

My curiosity got the better of me - I checked out the facility online. http://www.birminghamcrossplex.com/ :yes: Wow, I'm jealous. I wish we had one like that nearby.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Gary_vaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby Gary_vaulter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:16 pm

A good time was had!

I got to jump with Eric Negley and that is always fun. We were both suffering from the lack of practice jumps that comes with all of this winter weather. Of course, I still managed to overbend the pole that was supposed to be my "stiff" pole. Even with that though, I managed to struggle through and get a new Master's PR at 10' 3" ! Yea me.

Eric couldn't get his steps to work out for his long run (see note above about lack of practice days) and rather then pack it in, he took a shorter run and gave the "kids" a demonstration of how to do the stick vault. Ended up going 11' 6" and had some good looks at 12.

We were of course, both bested by the other vaulter in our division - 19 year old Brenton Rosa, who went 4.44mR 14-06.75 .
It's all good though. It's always fun to watch good vaulters.

Looking forward to the chance to jumping with you guys later this summer! (maybe it will stop snowing by then)

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”