vaulting again after 20 years off

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: vaulting again after 20 years off

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:31 am

Sounds like you're coming around great Steve. Word to the wise - stay in flats and don't do long run yet because the Achilles problem won't go away after it becomes chronic. Here's the result of my two lessons - http://www.bubbapv.com/Images/TAchilles1&2.jpg

The order of injuries for returning vaulters is usually hamstring, groin, Achilles, then shoulder. Most don’t need Achilles surgery but once the inflammation starts, it takes longer and longer to go away so jumping too goes away. Build up slow and work your way back from 3 to 4 lefts and limit yourself to 6 lefts for a while until your whole body gets conditioned. You'll get more jumps and have less injuries.

You guys will be getting snow in another couple of months so don't go into ski season injured. Have fun and keep up the good work. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

bending again
PV Newbie

Unread postby bending again » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:29 pm

Points well taken, and after seeing those photos believe me I will be taking them seriously.

LAVA
PV Newbie

Unread postby LAVA » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:49 pm

HOWDY NEIGHBOR
STEVE, MY NAME IS BOB LAVAGNINO AND I MENTIONED POLE VAULTING TO YOU ONE YEARS AGO GETTING GAS AT THE CROWLEY LAKE STORE, I KNEW YOU WERE A STAR AT USC. I VAULTED IN 1965 13'9.5" AND I AM 61 YEARS OLD NOW. IN 1975 I WAS BURIED IN A 14' DITCH UP ON FOREST TRAIL ROAD PUTTING A SEWER IN AND HAD PERMANANT NERVE DAMAGE IN MY LEFT ARM WHICH I HAPPEN TO BE A LEFTY VAULTER. NEVERTHELESS I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN EXCITED ABOUT THE POLE VAULT. I WOULD LOVE TO CHECK OUT YOUR SETUP AT YOUR PLACE. I HAVE SEEN THE STANDARDS FROM CROWLEY LAKE DRIVE BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT. I THINK I ASKED YOU IF YOU KNEW PAUL WILSON AND BOB STEINHOFF BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT YOU SAID. MY WIFE AND I LIVE IN SUNNYSLOPES SO IF I SEE YOU OUT THERE I'LL STOP BY. I REALLY THINK YOU ARE STILL YOUNG ENOUGH AND IN SHAPE FROM SNOWBOARDING AND KITE BOARDING THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY PULL THIS OFF. GOOD LUCK AND I'LL BE TALKIN TO YA.

ALWAYS
BOB LAVAGNINO

bending again
PV Newbie

Unread postby bending again » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:26 am

Good vault session today. Popped 11' again. Ready to get on a bigger pole for sure. Was going to but when I pulled it out of the bag the tape was wet from the sprinklers so stayed on the 13' 165 and almost jumped off the back of the pit. Again I only took three jumps. I think I am ready to take more jumps next session but baby steps for now. Feel less sore then all other days. Changing from seven lefts to six lefts for now, maybe even to five next time because of suggestions from other vaulters. Groin pain is gone but achilles is still slightly there. Will keep posting as the return to the vault progresses. Bob- you missed a good time tonite, I will call you next time we jump - Steve

LAVA
PV Newbie

Unread postby LAVA » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:03 pm

MY WIFE AND I SAW YOU VAULTING AT YOUR PLACE FRIDAY NIGHT UNDER THAT INCREDIBLE SUNSET, ALSO GOT YOUR MESSAGE, THANK YOU. UNFORTUNATELY WE WERE COMING BACK FROM MAMMOTH WITH A BUNCH OF GROCERIES SO WE HAD TO GET HOME. SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE ITCHING TO GET ON BIGGER POLE. MY COUSIN IS COMING THIS WEEKEND AND IF POSSIBLE I'D LIKE TO SHOW HIM YOUR SETUP.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:51 am

Great job and good plan Steve!! The fact that your Achilles pain is still "slightly" there is a good sign as it usually gets worse, not better, unless you're doing something right. Good news.

Bob and Steve are neighbors, yet found PVP to make the connection. How awesome is that?! Have fun guys!! Bubba

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:23 pm

I meant to bring up a point on my last post when Steve was talking about moving his run in. I had a kid, Borya Celentano (18’ 10 ½”), who would start from a standing 35’ run each day until he made 15’ or 15’ 6”. He felt like it made him work his quickness and body mechanics rather than depend totally on speed. He would take four jumps per run and spend the rest of his day at 6 lefts on a 15’ pole. He made 17’ 7” from there and was very close at 18’ 1”. At meets he ran from 9 lefts on 4.90m/16’ poles gripping about 15’ 6”. That year, senior year at Long Beach State, he had 11 meets over 18’.

When I jump three days a week (early in the year) I start Monday from 54’, Wednesday from 34’ and Friday from 44’. I jump until I have three misses and then move on to the next pole, run or both. This makes me accountable for only three attempts and makes sure that I get to further runs. I’ll end 2-3 strides back from my start stride but I get a lot of jumps in and get to work on a lot of things.

Later in the season I jump only two days, Monday and Friday and at the end of the season I only jump Fridays or at meets as I’m trying to refine my speed on the other days. My only goal at the final stage is to move bigger poles.

Everyone has their own approach but this has proven to be a safe way to progress pretty fast with minimal chance of injury. Take care. Bubba

bending again
PV Newbie

Unread postby bending again » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:14 am

New PR of 11'6" with some close ones at 12'. Got on a new pole. Run is 6 lefts. Took 6 jumps and felt good. It seems like I am in better shape to jump for sure. Nothing sore the next day. Seems like I need several days before I feel good enough to jump again just to have some spring in my step. Later, Steve

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:30 am

AWESOME!!! You are demonstrating the #1 thing you need to succeed in masters vaulting - instinctive training. You're showing a very good feel for what you can and can't do when, as well as what you should and shouldn't do. That's invaluable to you Steve. Take it from me; I'm just finishing my third week of hamstring rehab because I took that last jump that I knew I shouldn't have. Great job Dude!! I’m proud of you. It’s very hard to have jumped at your past level and come back and accept baby steps, but it’s necessary. The good news is that over time, your body will let you do more and more. Keep up the great work!! Bubba

bending again
PV Newbie

Unread postby bending again » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:40 am

Hey vault community - Thought I would let everyone know what is happening here in Mammoth Lakes, California. Most of the snow has melted and the pit is now usable again. First vault session of the summer was a few days ago. After clearing 12 '6" last summer, I was happy to clear 11'6" my first time out this year. I was no where near as sore as my first jumps last year. So a success for sure. It wasn't so good for another lacal vaulter though. Former 15' vaulter an local dentist Dr. Ron (age 64) came out with an impressive 8' clearance on his second or third jump. I did try to coach the best I could, but he fell victim to over exitement and took it too far. A right shoulder separation ended his first vault session in 15 years. So my question is this. How do you tell someone who is totallly amped to stop. I said "I think you should stop now" many times. "Get your breath back before you go again", You have taken too many jumps, you should stop". But his exitement was just too much. Should I have stood in front of the box and not let him jump? I don't want anyone to hurt themselves so I will say whatever I can in a given situation to try to keep anyone who is vaulting from getting injured. I suggested he read these blogs before our session, but it didn't really matter. How do you tell someone in their 60's what to do? I think vaulting gets you so exited that all reason sometimes goes out the window. Any comments or advice would be appreciated. I don't want to see this happen again. Thanks in advance to all. Also, anyone who is around this area and wants to jump let me know and lets vault.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:13 am

bending again wrote: ... How do you tell someone who is totallly amped to stop? I said "I think you should stop now" many times. "Get your breath back before you go again", You have taken too many jumps, you should stop". But his exitement was just too much. Should I have stood in front of the box and not let him jump? I don't want anyone to hurt themselves so I will say whatever I can in a given situation to try to keep anyone who is vaulting from getting injured.

Well, it's your home pit, so you can set the ground rules any way you want! :D

I know that's not much help, but now you just need to (a) decide what the rules are; and (b) enforce them!

Maybe post the rules onto a tree? Like "For my own safety, I agree to stop vaulting whenever Steve says so."

Or maybe not "rules", but maybe a mantra? Like "Live to vault another day ..." or something like that?

How about "Limit of 10 jumps or 1 injury per dentist - whatever comes first." :D

Weak ... I know. Maybe someone else can come up with something better.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Geezers are worse than the little kid that has to touch the stove after a grown up tells him not to because it's hot. How many times have I written about the 18 year old brain sitting on top of an ancient body and the 65% effort deal for the geezer athlete. Yet, in the end, every comeback geezer hurts himself (me included) because he doesn't know when to say when. We can warn them all day long, but frankly we are talking to the hand. The geezer has to find out for him or herself. Basically what you do or need to do in the future is to just outright tell the comeback athlete, "when you get hurt, and you will get hurt, hopefully it won't be too bad so you can learn from it and not end your comeback". The injury actually is part of the process of senior athletics. By getting injured it puts a "red line" on the ol' "body tachometer" that we carry around inside of us all. Once we know where the red line is then we use that info when we plan for an event. It's all part of my "who or what are my competitors" list. In order of importance this is who we compete against in these masters athletic. From the least to most important, we compete against the other guys or gals in an event, next is the event, next is our PR's and finally, the body we live in. We need to be able to plan on when our body is going to peak on a particular day of competition or know how far it can go that particular day. So, in answer to your question as to how to get someone to stop when they're out of gas.........just remind them.........you'll be sorry. They won't listen to you anyway....at least till they go through the first injury. Later......................Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”