NEW 60-64 WORLD RECORD FOR JOHN ALTENDORF

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:29 pm

I have video on my website, both .wmv and .mov formats. The WR jump is only the last half because the camera had shut off and vaultwest didn’t realize it until I was running down the runway. I’m pleased he managed to get it back on in time to get what he did. He was also watching the vault in order to coach me. That made it a pretty tough job. The filenames are descriptive.

- master

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:46 am

master wrote:I have video on my website, both .wmv and .mov formats. The WR jump is only the last half because the camera had shut off and vaultwest didn’t realize it until I was running down the runway. I’m pleased he managed to get it back on in time to get what he did. He was also watching the vault in order to coach me. That made it a pretty tough job. The filenames are descriptive.

- master

Good looking jumps....... very smooth approach....were those 14 foot poles you were on????

Bob

Anti-Gravity
PV Beginner

Unread postby Anti-Gravity » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 am

Congratulations!!

Your vaults are a real thing of beauty.

And the WR - that is like lipstick on a pretty girl... it makes a good thing even better.

The title Master is well deserved.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:17 am

Great jumping...Please share your training secrets with us. You look ripped in the video! :yes:

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:27 am

2-15-46 wrote:....were those 14 foot poles you were on????

Yes. This year I worked my way onto 14's. When my steps are on, my plant is high enough and I provide sufficient whip-swing, I can get on them. Not "if", but "when" those fail me, I have to bail on my jump; like on my last attempt at 4m. I'm 5'9" and 142 pounds. I was on a 150 pole in these videos. Being on that long a pole, I should easily jump 4m+, but somehow I haven't put it together in a meet yet.

Anti-Gravity wrote:The title Master is well deserved.

Thanks, but the reason I chose that name is I am a Masters vaulter, not because I wanted to claim a title. :confused:

Skyin' Brian wrote:Please share your training secrets with us. You look ripped in the video!

Thanks for the compliment. I am currently relatively lean, about 7-8% body fat. I attribute that to several things, probably the most important is my wife prepares healthy, low fat meals for me. And when I snack, it is usually a low fat nutrition bar. I used to jog as my main exercise (age 40-55). Before I started vaulting at age 56, I had been working out on a Bowflex for a couple of years. That made a large change in my body condition and made me think if I was ever going to vault again, that would be the time to try. Once in reasonable shape, I haven't really kept to a rigid regimen of exercise like some vaulters I read about. During the HS season I can't help myself from demonstrating drills and actually jumping while coaching. When I'm not jumping so much I do simple exercises like push ups and sit ups, also bar work with Bubka like drills. I guess I am very lucky that once in shape, eating right (most of the time) and with just a nominal amount of actual workouts, I can keep good body tone.

- master

Vaulting prof
PV Fan
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Former Collegiate vaulter 1963-4, College coach

WR--Congratulatlions

Unread postby Vaulting prof » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:03 pm

Congratulations!

I was that distant 3d place finisher as we vaulted late into the
night at Boston. I could tell from your speed and excellent
technique that you had the potential to go lots higher--- and
you put it all together--- way to go.

Hope to see you in North Carolina

Vaulting prof
Use it or loose it

Anti-Gravity
PV Beginner

Unread postby Anti-Gravity » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:56 am

master wrote:
2-15-46 wrote:....were those 14 foot poles you were on????

Yes. This year I worked my way onto 14's. When my steps are on, my plant is high enough and I provide sufficient whip-swing, I can get on them. Not "if", but "when" those fail me, I have to bail on my jump; like on my last attempt at 4m. I'm 5'9" and 142 pounds. I was on a 150 pole in these videos. Being on that long a pole, I should easily jump 4m+, but somehow I haven't put it together in a meet yet.- master

"I provide sufficient whip-swing" In your June 10, 2005 post you said that as part of implementing BTB you were going to "develop the whip-swing"

Was the influence of BTB insturmental in your move to 14 ft poles over the last year?

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:18 am

Anti-Gravity wrote:Was the influence of BTB insturmental in your move to 14 ft poles over the last year?

Yes, I would have to say that is true. Before I attended an Alan Launder camp, my swing was very passive. Now, when I remember :o , I try to bring a very aggressive trail leg swing. But I would say many things I learned at the camp and the BTB book have contributed.

- master

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:30 pm

I’m pleased to say I bettered my pending record by jumping 13’ (3.96m) on Thursday, June 29, at Hayward Field in Eugene at an All-Comers meet. There were the necessary 3 officials there to observe so there is a good chance it will be accepted as a record performance.
Here is wmv format video of the jump.
and here is mov format video.

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:49 pm

Congratulations!

Are you coming up to WA for the Tacoma or Alki beach vaults?

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:42 pm

Well done John! Keep the records coming!

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:27 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Congratulations!

Are you coming up to WA for the Tacoma or Alki beach vaults?

Probably not. Although I think they would be fun events, it's too far to make it a comfortable day trip and I haven't had my act together to make it an overnighter. Hopefully another time. :)

- master

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”