Looking for a college with pre-physical therapy

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Polevaultgirly16
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Polevaultgirly16 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:09 pm

my pr is 11'9 and i want to go into some sort of sports medicine or physical therapy i want to stay somewhere in the west coast or east coast any ideas of where would be good for me?

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:47 pm

you know, heres a tip about the physical therapy thing. i looked into that cuz i thought i wanted to do it. but the woman i talked to said that its super dang hard, almost impossible, to compete in college and have that major, because you have to spend a ton of hours being like a trainer for a college team so you dont have time to do your own sport. she knows cuz she wanted to compete in college. im not saying your stuck, i just suggest you ask around more about that and hopefully find out some better news than i did.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:43 am

SweetPVJumps wrote:you know, heres a tip about the physical therapy thing. i looked into that cuz i thought i wanted to do it. but the woman i talked to said that its super dang hard, almost impossible, to compete in college and have that major, because you have to spend a ton of hours being like a trainer for a college team so you dont have time to do your own sport. she knows cuz she wanted to compete in college. im not saying your stuck, i just suggest you ask around more about that and hopefully find out some better news than i did.

That's not necessarily true. That may be true if your school only has athletic training as the closest pre-PT thing, but lots of schools have exercise science programs that are geared toward physical therapy, and don't require you to be an athletic trainer. Two of my previous schools, University of Georgia and University of Florida both had exercise science programs.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:55 am

Marquette university has exercise science and a Doctoral of Physical Therapy program. You can a directly admitted to the physical theapy program, or you can reapply as a junior. Our best girl jumper just jumped 12', so you would be right there.
Man Up and Jump

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:07 pm

I'm not sure exactly what my school offers, but I do know it has a great PT program as well as athletic training

www.fullerton.edu

check it out!

(and a purtty good track program too....)
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

polevaultdad
PV Nerd

Unread postby polevaultdad » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:35 pm

Depends on how far away you can stand being from home.

BJ is right - take a look at the schools you interested in and let them know who you are. The options are numerous. Example - A girl we know just graduated from CAl Poly SLO and is leaving for Arkansas for their Graduate Program in PT. Most major universities and state schools have a Kinesiology Major - which used to be PE, which used to train people to become teachers. Now Athletic Training - is a path you can choose.

Cut and paste the link below to see how they do it at UNM. My daughter vaults there and loves it. That was going to be her major, until she had to take anatomy/biology/etc.

They have a Physical Performance and Development Department that has curriculum in PE, Athletic Training, Health Science, Exercise Science. They also have a Nutrition major.

Most schools will have similar programs. With a PR of 11-9, most schools would be interested. (Ask Becca - 11-9 would qualify you for NAIA Nationals). If you need money or want a scholarship, you better get started contacting people so they know you are around and interested. Or else the money will be spent. Vaulting scholarships are out there, but they are few in number.

Good Luck!

http://ppd.cte-0027.unm.edu/naw/Qdisp.n ... oDISP.html

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:39 pm

SweetPVJumps wrote:you know, heres a tip about the physical therapy thing. i looked into that cuz i thought i wanted to do it. but the woman i talked to said that its super dang hard, almost impossible, to compete in college and have that major, because you have to spend a ton of hours being like a trainer for a college team so you dont have time to do your own sport. she knows cuz she wanted to compete in college. im not saying your stuck, i just suggest you ask around more about that and hopefully find out some better news than i did.

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Someone else already mentioned that its really the Athletic Training major that has problems with sports schedules since you have to work with the sports teams, however there are many schools that offer pre-physical therapy as a major, or excercise science, kinesiology, or even biomechanics which are usually tailored as majors for those intending to go on to grad school for physical therapy (or atleast meet all the requirements).

Before joining the Marines I was in a pre-physical therapy program at the University of Delaware while on their track team as a pole vaulter. Now that I just got out of the Marines I'm headed back to school in the fall and will be doing track and pre-physical therapy again. I'll be attending Liberty University in Virginia and the actual major there is Kinesiology with a specialization in excercise science (which was designed specifically for those who want to go to grad school for PT).

Just keep on looking for the school that has all the major aspects you want in a college, but if your main concerns are pre-PT and a track program, there should be a decent number to choose from.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

giolanaro
PV Beginner

Fullerton

Unread postby giolanaro » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:27 pm

I am going to have to say Cal State University Fullerton. It has a great Kinesiology program and a Great PT program. I also heard they will be having an OK PV coach hahaha(whats up BJ).

www.fullerton.edu

SweetPVJumps
PV Whiz

Unread postby SweetPVJumps » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:10 am

[quote="USMC Vaulter"][quote="SweetPVJumps"]you know, heres a tip about the physical therapy thing. i looked into that cuz i thought i wanted to do it. but the woman i talked to said that its super dang hard, almost impossible, to compete in college and have that major, because you have to spend a ton of hours being like a trainer for a college team so you dont have time to do your own sport. she knows cuz she wanted to compete in college. im not saying your stuck, i just suggest you ask around more about that and hopefully find out some better news than i did.[/quote]

I'm gonna have to disagree with this. [/quote]

cool :yes: glad to know that i was semi misinformed

jumpbackin
PV Whiz

schools

Unread postby jumpbackin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:17 pm

Long Beach State

Chia Vault
PV Newbie

Pre PT??

Unread postby Chia Vault » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:35 pm

I went to PT school at Idaho State after completing my BS in biology also at ISU. I dropped out after a year but that was just me. What you do before pt school can vary considerably. You can find a degree with the most overlap with the prereq's or you can get an unrelated degree. I had a classmate who had his degree in pe. Different schools require different pre req classes and different amounts of hours of "observation/volunteering/work experience" this you can do anytime. summers, between classes, or weekends in the off season. I did all three.

Vault now. You only have four years of eligibility. you can go to school forever.
I am now 32 and am half way through dental school. Trust me, there is no rush to "grow up". I would have put it off longer if I could have but the wife and kid #3 finally won out.
Idaho state has a great vault program.
Dragila is back there again too!
Call coach dave nielsen 208-282-3299 or nieldave@isu.edu
Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. -Jim Ryun

Return to “Pole Vault - College”