PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Re: ACC Photos

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:37 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Is this FSU girl on her CELL PHONE :eek:
http://www.pbase.com/bobhebert/image/58947027

Yeah she is either pole vaulting, rock climbing, talking on her cell, sleeping, or eating. You can hardly pull her away from her cell long enough to do something else.
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Every championship meet I have ever been to has STRICT rules about NO CELL PHONES in the competition area, even after the competition.

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:03 pm

Tori Allen...cell phone definitely doesnt surprise me lol
Coach Bob Phillips

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:06 am

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:36 pm

I was wondering isn't it bad to have your legs curled backwards like Lacy Janson. I thought it pushes your chest into the bar.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:55 pm

yep. it certainly is
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Is it bad to curl your legs? My answer to this question is not entirely and here is why!

If you finish your vault and have a huge pike, what can happen? What usually happens is your mass stops moving. Your legs dropping almost simulate a wall, in that your body stops moving in the pits. All you can do is rotate around your feet, and more times than not you will fall down onto the crossbar.

Now if you look at Tim Mack's jumps at Athens, he folds his legs as he finishes his vault. What he does great is hollow out his chest, fold his legs at the knees, and let his body rotate around the crossbar with no dropping of the ches or stopping of his rotation. Why would you call this bad? If you can keep your COM moving over and around the crossbar, why would you call that bad. When you fold your legs under you and hollow out, you sail over the crossbar, instead of rotating around the crossbar as you would with piking.

I think it is better for you to sail than it is for you to pike, especially if you allow your chest to become concave and hollow, instead of throwing your head back and your chest into the bar...

Just my two cents!

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:01 pm

To add on to what my boy Zachmo said, my opinion on the subject is simply this!!!

Many vaulters have gone to the over piking to get huge hip heights, but in return limit their room for error in actually clearing bars. They pike so much that they need perfect timing to actually clear a bar. I ask the question whats the point of this extra hip height if you can't clear a bar 1 foot under your hips.

Instead if you perform more of a sailing action and allow rotation to continue then your room for error is increased and you can clear higher bars easier. In the end the focus is on rotation into the pits above and around the crossbar.

If your only worried about rotating above the crossbar your goign to hit it on your way down 90% of the time on higher heights.

How many times have you seen a vautler with huge hip height over a bar but only to come down on it because they have no rotation around the crossbar into the pits.

If they would have hollowed out and performed more of a sailing action ( bring the heels up to the butt and allowing the hips to drop) hollowing out the chest, keeping the head down while pointing the thumbs down they would have made the height with ease.

There is way to much focus on piking and for that most vaulters are now over piking and missing heights they should made with ease.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:18 pm

well, yes you can overpike

but if you look at the quesiton with reguards to lacy's picture, she is arched over the bar with her feet above her hips. and that is not an ideal position
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:41 am

yes that is true, she is arched over the bar, and I do realize that a lot of bars have been knocked down due to thrusting the chest out and into the bar. But what I also realize is she has plenty of distance around the crossbar to where it doesn't matter, what does matter is she made the bar because she rotated around the crossbar with ease, allowing herself to sail over it instead of trying to pike over it... so yes where she is at is not ideal, but she made 15 feet with plenty of room on either side of the crossbar... sweet jump!

And Vtech... did I see you were right around 18' again the other day? Keep up the good work man, you are jumpin good!

Zachmo
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

ADTF Academy
PV Follower

Unread postby ADTF Academy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:57 am

The photo is misleading,

If you watch the video you will notice that the heels are brought up after her hips have rotated around the crossbar. So she is not sticking out her chest. It is actually hollow.

She remains hollowed out for the remainder of her clearance and her upperbody is then rotated around the crossbar.

Her legs are a little over exagarated so she has a big arching of the lower back, but still this is a decent examply of sailing over a crossbar instead of overpiking.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”