PV Newbie
Expertise: High school coach, USATF Level 2 Jumps and Multis
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Inverting

Unread postby CoachHonea » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:36 am

https://youtu.be/zNeZr1M8ZjY
Please review the above video. (Sorry for the slow motion, I don't know why it is or how to fix it).

This is 4.60, he is on a 15'6-185. My thoughts and what we've been working on:
About a month prior to this video he had been blocking out with a low and stiff lead arm. I had him narrow his grip and work on taking off with his hands high and pushing up. A lot has improved, but he is still stuck and can't invert. I don't feel he leads strong enough with his chest to create a stretch and long swing. Seams almost like he just swings with his leg and not from his top hand...so he can never get in position before losing pressure and the pole releases. I almost feel like he could actually run from 8 strides and hold a 16-16'6 pole and have time for everything to come together "magically". But in reality, he is a decathlete and we don't have a lot of time each week AND only have 6 sessions and 2 competitions before Nationals.

charlie
PV Pro

Re: Inverting

Unread postby charlie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:49 pm

He has a GREAT plant, but when he starts to finish the vault he should pull his hips straight up and he would fly! We do inversions with ankle weights on a rope! Stand directly under the rope and hold your drive knee paralell and pull your hips to complete extension!!! It is one move, NO TUCK!!!

CoachHonea
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school coach, USATF Level 2 Jumps and Multis
Lifetime Best: 13'9"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Re: Inverting

Unread postby CoachHonea » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Thanks Charlie. We don’t even have a rope. But I just went out and bought one. I’ll have him start right away. I also reposted this because I think it’s in the wrong section.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”