scholarships

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

pv cowgirl
PV Wannabe

scholarships

Unread postby pv cowgirl » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:57 am

howdy yall
i was just wondering at what hieght do colleges start offering scholarships ? at what height do they start looking ? its my dream to vault collegent ! i want to so bad and i will do anything to make myself better at vaulting ! i just wanted to know
thanks yall
ouch........i fell off again

wakesurfvault
PV Fan

Unread postby wakesurfvault » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:40 am

I actually don't think colleges give many scholarships for pole vaulting. Since colleges only have around 15 full rides to give out, they usually wind up giving them to sprinters or distance runners who can do more than one event. And I think 14'/14' 6" (guys) or so will at least help u get into a college. I'm not so familiar w/ girls heights, but I'd say 10', just a guess tho.

StanVaultCoach
PV Wannabe

Unread postby StanVaultCoach » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:03 am

It depends on the college, what conference they are in, what division, and what they are looking for that year.

For instance,

At Stanford, we are NCAA Div. 1 and are in the Pac-10 conference. It took 13'3 to place 8th at the 2004 Pac-10 championships. We look for very good students who can contribute to our team total at conference.

An athletic scholarship is based on performance and can be hard to get in stong vaulting conferences.

Good Luck and never give up on your dreams and goals.

jmpngblonde
PV Nerd

Unread postby jmpngblonde » Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:30 am

ive found that vault scholarships are hard to come by....i vault 11'8 and am walking on to UF...usualy, at least on the east coast the west usualy jumps higher, you have to be juming over 12 or 12'6 to get considered for scholarship money...at least where i've looked. theyh like to give money to multi eventers

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:58 pm

Yeah, be a good multi helps, though i only jumped 12'6", i jumped 21'9" and 43' in long and triple jump. My coach couldn't give anymore scholarships out, but he was able to "allocate money" for me and im going for free. Does it really matter if it an academic scholarship or athletic...i think not, its free money. Just do well in track and even better in school.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

runjumpfly
PV Fan

Re: scholarships

Unread postby runjumpfly » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:41 pm

pv cowgirl wrote:howdy yall
i was just wondering at what hieght do colleges start offering scholarships ? at what height do they start looking ? its my dream to vault collegent ! i want to so bad and i will do anything to make myself better at vaulting ! i just wanted to know
thanks yall
collegiate* sry for being a spelling nazi
Brian

As In A Guy For Those Of You Who Don't Know

'Defying Gravity'

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:57 pm

its definately possible to get a vault schollarship, although very hard to get full. what you need to do is market yourself, and show the coaches that you will beable to compete at the college level. show them that you will be able to improve and that you are coachable. get a list of the schools you are interested in and call the coaches. make them aware of you.

then all you have to do is jump high :yes:

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:41 pm

this is cool info because i'd love to vault in college
too, D-1 would be amazing but i know all those heights
are like 15+ although i was on BC's site and i think
their record was only like 14'6'' or something like
that, probably because they are a Big East team and
as a school, concentrate on football and soccer...who knows
"Just Fly"

Return to “Pole Vault - College”