What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

marshall
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Roth

Re: What's the overall best school to vault at?

Unread postby marshall » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:17 pm

UCLA is in the ghetto? what? haha

ramenvaulter wrote:what about ucsd, uc irvine or berkeley?
oh and occidental?

oxy is a d3 school and so doesn't offer vault scholarships but i've seen their vaulters and last year they had two guys who were hitting mid to high 13s and a girl that hit 12'5 i believe. besides that, they had like 3 or 4 other girls that were in the 7'6 and 8' range.

but its a great campus, with a nice track, and amazing food. haha but be aware that it is one of the better academic liberal arts schools, so you better be on your studies if you want to go to oxy.

distancejumper
PV Pro

Re: ?

Unread postby distancejumper » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:02 am

vaulter580 wrote:juat pick the school with the hotest chicks!!!

agreed

johnny ray
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby johnny ray » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Williams College. Check their rank on Newsweek. Best damn DIII sports program in the nation.

[url][/url]http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/williamstown-ma/williams-college-2229
-simplexity

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:59 pm

It looks like I am going to be the jumps coach at the new Women's program at the University of Central Oklahoma. Wooo!! Hooo!!

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:13 pm

Tim,

What are the plans for UCO's program? I hadn't heard they were expanding.
Facts, Not Fiction

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:12 pm

UCO is starting up the women's program again. Obviously this first season we are a walk-on team with kids who were already on campus, but we are recruiting like crazy right now. This is a ground level situation, but I'm really pumped about our prospects.The coaching staff is amazing. Let's put it this way. I am far from the most experienced or accomplished coach on staff. Between all of us we have somewhere around 90 years of combined experience. :dazed: I'm so fired up I can hardly stand it. :D

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Tim, this is Todd. PM me your Email Address.
I'm not smart enough to PM you or my computer is whacked! :)

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:44 pm

So how about south carolina and gardner-webb?

For South Carolina:
LoJo. He's really a great coach. The facilities/campus are amazing (I've done my visit) but the progressions aren't as high as other schools (Tennessee, Arkansas, etc.). But my big question for USC (yes they are the official usc, they were founded 80 yrs before southern cal. don't get me started) is mainly does anyone know lojo's coaching philosiphy? Yes Elliot Haynie is a monster but he cleared 17'4 i believe in his years at gardner-webb. But today i read an article about the meet they were at this weekend where LoJo was quoted as saying "but we've really made some good changes to his form" I'm hoping these aren't majorly drastic changes.

So my big question for anyone who may know is:
What is LoJo's coaching philosiphy? (I may try to go up there and meet with him when i go on a 2nd visit later)

And Gardner-Webb:
Coach Wood is doing great things, look at what she's done with elliot. She has already told me she could give me a spot on the team now, but I'm just not as sold on them. When i got to talking with her, she said she doesn't believe the free takeoff is effective :eek: :no: But her results kind of speak for themselves. The facilities aren't anywhere near the level of any other D1 school, in the conference alone there are better facilites out there. But I've met the vaulters and they seem to really like coach wood and the other members. Everybody is really friendly there.

Any help or input?
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

Polevaulter2012
PV Whiz
Expertise: Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.90m
Favorite Vaulter: Maksim tarasov

Unread postby Polevaulter2012 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 pm

xjoeyx wrote:When i got to talking with her, she said she doesn't believe the free takeoff is effective But her results kind of speak for themselves.

Imagine what they could jump if they took of outside. If you believe in the outside take off then you should go somewhere that also believes in it. Just a thought.

AllaboutPV1
PV Beginner
Expertise: College
Lifetime Best: 5.08
Favorite Vaulter: TIM MACK

Unread postby AllaboutPV1 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:06 pm

its hard to think that the outside t-o isn't doing anything? from my experience the farther outside i jump the more it feels like i am cheating. it doesn't hurt your back and you put way more energy into the pole. the only disadvantage is you have to be a decent athlete to have a successful free t-o. the best school to vault at are the ones that you least expect, i vault at a community college, but just because its a community college doesn't mean that the program is bad. all of our guy vaulters are in the 16 ft range and I myself am in good enough shape to jump 17'4 -17'8, its not the school its the person and how bad the athlete wants it. I'm gonna go with University of washington, and lane community college as the best schools to vault for, there is probably better schools but athletically the programs are perfect for me, This is how i based my decision. my life revolves around pv like everybody else's on pvp, so i always get caught thinking too much about the vault program rather than acedemic programs. just my 1 cent Because its probably not worth 2 haha.

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 pm

AllaboutPV1 wrote: from my experience the farther outside i jump the more it feels like i am cheating.

It feels like that with me! haha. Like im jumping on a broomstick not a 14' pole haha :D but I'm going to see the coach in a few weeks and try to pick at her philosiphy a little more we'll see what i can find out :P
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

PVStryker05
PV Newbie
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'9
Favorite Vaulter: Adam Sarafian

Unread postby PVStryker05 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 am

Hey everyone, how about UIC and DePaul?

Return to “Pole Vault - College”