Freshman vaulters

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Haverford123
PV Nerd

Freshman vaulters

Unread postby Haverford123 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:17 pm

so i recently got into Pennstate but the pv coach there told me he only takes jumpers that jump 15+...

i didnt get a respnose when i asked him if i can still pv with the jumpers...

im sort of upset that PSU will not give freshman the chance to continue the sport.. so i thought.. why not ask the forum what to do... cause i REALLY want to continue the sport...

but its too late in switching to a different college right now... maybe i can transfer out?

but then i dont know anythign about these college things yet.... i guess ican beg and beg the coach but i dont wana annoy the guy...
HHS '08
PSU '12

3.81 m

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

vault

Unread postby kev44000 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:55 pm

That is the standard for most d-1 schools. Some are 16.00 foot.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:58 pm

They are very limited as to how many people they can keep on the team as walk-ons because of Title IX. So no, you won't be able to just practice with the team. Your best bet is to find a club somewhere you can practice with.

Haverford123
PV Nerd

Unread postby Haverford123 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 pm

ah thanks,
that makes sense
HHS '08

PSU '12

3.81 m

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 pm

Colleges want to give vaulters a chance to continue the sport, but their priority is producing conference and national competitors, thats what they get paid for. The truth is, with 10,000 freshman coming into penn state, there are probably 10-20 vaulters that can jump 13'6" in the group, and they cant fit that many on the roster and in the weightrooms and track. But if they know how serious you are about it, and are willing to put in the time and effort with a club your freshman year, or high school to vault 15', they will probably want you on the team. Just think what would happen if they lowered their tryout cutoffs for the 100, 200, 400, 800, etc. Pretty soon you have a 200 person roster, and the ones at the top of their game don't get the attention they need to get better. Its a rough truth, but get in touch with a club if you would like to get better, and if you do and you show potential im sure they would have you on the team. But if your priorities are to vault in college and nothing else, i think you should re-evaluate your college choices. Because Penn State has a lot more to offer than just a vaulting program.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

shikvaulter143
PV Newbie

freshman vaulters

Unread postby shikvaulter143 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:42 pm

Not having anything against penn state, but from what I hear from former penn state vaulters that have went there, ended up transfering out because the vault coach doesnt coach and it is not a good environment to be in. I know its true about vaulting 15+. The vaulter who has my school record (Nick Fegly) went on to penn state and ended up doing 16' 10; I think.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri May 02, 2008 10:07 pm

To be fair, there has been a SIGNIFICANT coaching shift in the past 4 years. The new head coach, Beth Sullivan, is very supportive for the vaulters. Her husband is also on a faculty position at PSU, so cannot be the official coach, but he was coached by Jan Johnson and has a PHD in biomechanics, he knows his stuff. He is there on the vault days, 2 or 3 times a week, and in a short time turned the program around. But it takes more than a good coach, it takes time. He hasnt had a chance to work with tons of vaulters since he hasnt been there long, but he knows the vault and how to help vaulters. Even when he isn't there, the multi-event coach is there everyday and knows a ton about the vault as well. With the top sports science lab in the country and kinesiology school in the country, the coaching and training at PSU and second to none. Its the athletes choice whether to take advantage of that.

Obviously you are making assumptions about their program, so I will make one about the people you "hear" from. Either they went there before the coaching shift, or they are making excuses for their own choices at Penn State. As someone attending Penn State next year, I can assure you that i wouldn't sign with a college without making sure the potential for success was there. There is more than enough at Penn State.

Haverford123
PV Nerd

Unread postby Haverford123 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:20 pm

i was looking at pictures of PSU and
i saw pictures of the indoor pv pit and just sighed... haha
HHS '08

PSU '12

3.81 m

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat May 03, 2008 7:48 am

Yea the pit is really nice. But it really was the coaches attitudes that made the difference for me. They really have an attitude toward success and will do what it takes to get me to reach my, and their, goals. You can transfer to a D. II and maybe walk on its your choice, or you can work with slippery rock or Vertical Assault until you vault 15'.

By the way, its the middle of the track season, so the coaches don't really have a ton of time to be checking their emails, they are busy coaching. Dont feel too bad, it takes a while for me to get emails back too. When i was a junior a lot of coaches wouldn't even write me back once when i told them i was a 15'6" jumper. If you are serious about pole vaulting, you will make them regret they never emailed you back!

pvdad15
PV Newbie

FRESHMAN VAULTERS

Unread postby pvdad15 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:49 pm

Yes a D1 school is limited in the number of members on the team. However I would like to correct one thing about Penn State. Beth Sullivan has been there for 9 years as the womens coach. She was recently named head coach of the men's team. Her husband is considered a volunteer coach and in the past did not go to a lot of the away meets. I believe the vault program has had only 1 member go to Nationals in that time frame.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat May 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Well i give up. Think what you like, I can only promise that that number will go up by at least one in the next 4 years!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat May 03, 2008 4:29 pm

Cocky, but probably true... :D :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - College”