What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Sat May 21, 2005 12:33 pm

achtungpv wrote:Cause TxSt actually allows the guys to socialize with the gals. :yes:

Seriously though, Longhorns make good employees...used to have 9 of them working for me for about half my salary.

haha, yeah, but it's more the other way around, bev's pretty stingy with her girls...
8700... mark it down

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sat May 21, 2005 7:08 pm

TreyDECA wrote:haha, yeah, but it's more the other way around, bev's pretty stingy with her girls...

Always heard some of the animosity was because Bubba was jealous of Bev's office. The rumor was that he asked why he had a smaller one than her, and the reply was "well Bubba, win a couple of NCAA team titles and you can get a large office too."
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Sun May 22, 2005 3:25 pm

achtungpv wrote:
TreyDECA wrote:haha, yeah, but it's more the other way around, bev's pretty stingy with her girls...

Always heard some of the animosity was because Bubba was jealous of Bev's office. The rumor was that he asked why he had a smaller one than her, and the reply was "well Bubba, win a couple of NCAA team titles and you can get a large office too."

hmm... not sure bout that one, bubba's not a very jealous person, he just takes care of his business and stays out of hers.
8700... mark it down

polevaultdad
PV Nerd

Unread postby polevaultdad » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Great topic, since I am a Dad. After year one my daughter found all of her reasons for choosing her school had not changed. But some new data got added. She and we learned a lot.

Travel - She missed 11 of 17 Fridays (tough on classes)
Meets - Find out where they are. She traveled 6K miles on vans/buses and 12k miles on planes.
Seasons - Indoor and outdoor make for a lone "season"
School - If you do well, you will be at school after everyone else leaves - so your friends wil be gone. League meets, regionals and nationals are after school is out.
Weather - What can you deal with when not "in season"? What is it like during the outdoor season -affects your performance?

As for improvement, there were some great performance this year. Shayla Balentine at SDSU was a 13-6 vaulter in high school, and just this year (senior) hit hi 13 low 14 footer regularly. It is not the one jump but the consistant heighth that is a measure of improvement.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:36 pm

blakedow wrote:I'm going to have to say that Texas State is one of the best schools to jump at... Great coach... Great facilities.... Great Weather... oh yeah, and there is a river that is 72 degrees year-round five minutes walking distance away...

Not to mention the outlet malls nearby . . .

jp1667
PV Nerd

Unread postby jp1667 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:11 am

I remember UNC Chapel Hill having a decent vaulting crew back in early 90s with Coach Dennis Craddock. They had about 4-5 vaulters over 18' - one of them I knew was a walk-on who only heighted 12-6 in HS near me and then progressed to 18'+ by their Jr college years.

And I'm sure their track facilities are still pretty impressive too with the baby blue runway =)
Where do all the old catapoles go....? Ask Jan.

PVPRO121
PV Newbie

BYU!!!

Unread postby PVPRO121 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:09 pm

Are you guys kidding?? Has no body mentioned BYU. BYU is the best overall school for pole vault. A couple 18'+ guys, and many 17'9"+ jumpers also. 2 National Champions in the last 5 years. Wins conference almost every year in PV (Hansen, Pratt, Powell, ect.) Many awsome upcoming Vaulters. How can you not look at BYU. coach Larry Berryhill is one of the most known coaches when it comes to Pole Vault. BYU has great facilities, great D-1 school. What more could you want.

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:23 pm

just a thought, and no offense meant, but how many vaulters at BYU aren't mormon?

how attractive of a school would it be for a non-mormon...?

no doubt they have an amazing program for the vault at BYU though, their statistics speak for themselves..

i know i'm asking some possibly touchy questions but i went for it, i respect all relgions and mean no offense to anyone...
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:23 pm

And the two extra years for the Mormon mission never hurt anyone either...
You would almost have to expect bigger things from a squad of vaulters between 23-25 years old...
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:53 pm

Syracuse is my number 1 choice right now for schools (im a rising senior). Does any one know anything about Enoch Borozinski and his PV program? Thanks
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

PV Knox
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV Knox » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:16 am

While being recruited one coach told me some good information, never go to a school because of a coach, because there is a chance that that coach could leave. This has happened to my friends at other universities. I look at academics since I goto clemson (major engineering school). Program quality is a little more important than prestige.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:37 pm

that is some good advice
Man Up and Jump

Return to “Pole Vault - College”