Walking on to Vault in college...

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:26 am

BigStick Club wrote:How do you get registered with the clearinghouse? Some colleges say they're interested in me, but they can't officially 'talk' until I register.

Are you sure they can't talk to you. I remember going on recruiting trips before I got through the clearing house. You just have to have it done to practice and compete as I understand it.
Man Up and Jump

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:31 am

I think the Clearing house has gotten stricter since you've registered Zach, I couldn't even really go on any official visits unless i was good with the clearing house....but i do understand your confusion about the coaches not talking that shouldn't be....as far as i know coaches can talk freely to an athlete only after the athlete becomes of age..

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:45 pm

i dont' think the age matters. It is the year in school i believe.
Man Up and Jump

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:24 pm

this past year it was July 1st after your junior year where college coaches could actually contact you personally.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:31 pm

when i said "coming of age" i meant school year sorry about that, and yes it is July 1st after your junior year!

FreightTrain
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, occasional open competitor
Lifetime Best: 4.90 m

Can graduate students continue to compete?

Unread postby FreightTrain » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:46 am

I tried to do a search to see if this subject had been previously covered, but didn't see it specifically addressed, so here goes...

Can a student in graduate school compete in intercollegiate T&F? As an example, my school only has outdoor track and field. After 4 years of competion in "outdoors", can I continue to compete at a different school that has indoor T&F as a graduate student? Seems like I heard that you could get one year of competition in as a graduate student (max of 5 years of school to get in 4 years of competition).

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:18 am

I am pretty sure you can.....5 years to complete 4 years of competition......i would talk to the coaches at the grad school you are at, but i am pretty sure you can.
Man Up and Jump

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Can graduate students continue to compete?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:21 am

FreightTrain wrote:I tried to do a search to see if this subject had been previously covered, but didn't see it specifically addressed, so here goes...

Can a student in graduate school compete in intercollegiate T&F? As an example, my school only has outdoor track and field. After 4 years of competion in "outdoors", can I continue to compete at a different school that has indoor T&F as a graduate student? Seems like I heard that you could get one year of competition in as a graduate student (max of 5 years of school to get in 4 years of competition).

It just depends... I know in the NAIA, they only allow you to compete in grad school if you are at the same school you graduated from for your undergrad.

The NCAA will generally allow it, but it counts as transferring. Many conferences won't take 1 year transfers, but you can usually apply for waivers which they will often grant for graduate students.

For example, the SEC will not take 1-year transfers. Jeremy Scott (Allegheny -> Arkansas) and Chelo Canino (Princeton -> Florida) were both able to get waivers from the conference and compete their 5th year in grad school. However, the SEC wouldn't give a waiver to Amy Linnen who was still finishing undergrad.

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:42 am

the Big TEN took a one year transfer last year in Mike Palmer (Alma College>Michigan State). i dont know if they have rules about it, but he did it after sitting out his senior year w/ an injury.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”