Walking on to Vault in college...

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:14 am

I thought that d3 athletes still had to get through the clearing house. It is still the NCAA.
Man Up and Jump

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:29 pm

nope, only D1 and D2....

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:53 pm

Is that why D3 is not allowed to give athletic scholorships?
Man Up and Jump

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:20 pm

what's the clearing house?

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:42 pm

my understanding is this: In order for an athlete to compte in D1 or D2 they must meet certian academic standards. If they dont' meet them, they are not allowed to compete. I believe a 19 on the ACT is one of the standards. But that is all i claim to know.
Man Up and Jump

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Re: Walking On

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:49 pm

SKOT wrote:a lot of athelets compete D3 bacause they cant get through the NCAA Clearing House...

Is that true? Don't you still have to have decent credentials to get into DIII schools and keep a certain GPA to compete?

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:10 pm

the only acidemic standard that you have to follow in D3 is that all atheletes must be in "good acidemic standing" with the school. that means that you can compete while on acidemic probation (i did it freshman year). you can also compete if you are failing all your classes as long as the school doesnt suspend you. there are some D3 schools that have much lower acidemic standards than others. this lets them recruit atheletes that might not be able to get into and/or survive at stronger acidemic schools. personally, i would like to see D3 athelets have to get through the clearing house along w/ D1 and D2 atheletes. i think it would be a step in the right direction

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:35 pm

I think in principel that is a good idea, but it isn't fair to stop an athlete from doing what they love just because they are not intelligent. Requiring D3 athletes to get through the clearing house would definatly decrease the number of D3 athletes. What i would worry abotu is the students that cant make the clearing house and therefore decide not to attend college.
Man Up and Jump

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:10 pm

if you cant get through the clearing house, all that means is that you have to go to JC for a year. i believe that you are allowed to either sit a year out at the school you are or, go to JC and then transfer in and get around the clearing house. most D1 caliber atheletes go to JC if they cant get through the clearing house.

unless you live in the state wisconsin, new york or minnesota, its generally too expensive to go to a D3 school with the intentions of transfering up after a year. considering the only public schools are in new york and wisconsin (minnesota residents get instate tuition rates at WI schools), most people cant fork over the 25+k it costs to go to most private schools.

frankly, the clearing house standards are not very tough. take a look at the standards...
http://www.ncaa.org/library/general/cbs ... 5_cbsa.pdf
they appear on page 7.

bring on the clearing house for D3! i have seen too many D3 atheletes that can only spell one word more than 5 letters long...football...

VaultMarq26
PV Lover

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:16 pm

lol......love the last comment
Man Up and Jump

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:47 pm

How do you get registered with the clearinghouse? Some colleges say they're interested in me, but they can't officially 'talk' until I register.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:44 pm

it's easy.....go onto the ncaa clearing house website, read about being a prospective athlete.....fill out the sheets provided by the website and i think their is a registration fee too ($30 at the most if i remember)...then you have to send a lot of the stuff thru your highschool so they release your transcripts ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - College”