What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:55 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
VaultMarq26 wrote:UW-Lacrosse is another

Do they have a coach? I talked to a girl from there and it seemed like they were just coaching each other.

There has been a boys coach there for a while but I am not sure who is coaching the girls if anybody.
Chris Milton

carryabigstick
PV Fan

Unread postby carryabigstick » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:13 am

One great to vaulter does not mean a school has an awesome program. It seems to me that you would look for a really strong system, proven to develop all levels of vaulter.
Last edited by carryabigstick on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"pole vaulters are made in the last 4 strides"

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 pm

good stuff....

we will be hard pressed to find a program better.. equal?... but definately not better..

there are a couple of common denominators there..

jim bemiller and bill webb...

i think when you put world class training and collaborvatie knowledge together you have great things happen.........

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:46 pm

ps

and now russ johnson.......

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:10 pm

regarding the last three posts, i couldnt have said it better. Im jsut proud to be part of a program with such history. all of the resources needed to succeed and perform at the highest level are available. the top ten list says it all.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

best school

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:50 pm

It was good to see you becoming a part of that tradition with a big double pr at SEC's yesterday. 5 Meters good job, Brad!!

dfoss
PV Newbie

Unread postby dfoss » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:07 pm

The best area I know of is our area, Atascadero, CA. We have one of the best coaches in the country, Jan Johnson, and a huge group of local vaulters at all levels, including numerous national record holders. The weather is beautiful almost all year and we practice consistently year-round. As far as the schools, you'd have to investigate. We have Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and Cuesta community college. But if you haven't been here, you should check out the area. skyjumpers.com

polevault14
PV Beginner

Unread postby polevault14 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:09 pm

Great responses on this topic, however, let me share our college recruitment experience.....

During the recruitment process the coaches are who they are, and the program is what it is....

Last year was an excellent example of the major changes that can take place, once the season is finished.

Who you met in the Winter/Spring may not be who is there when you arrive...in August. Out of the many coaches we spoke with during the recruitment process, only two are where they were last year). careers change rapidly now a days.....

Look at a college for academic programs, a well supported track team (academically and financially) and a place where you will be happy both socially and in competition. (In other words, look at their previous years schedules, qualification rate for invitationals and research how many athletes were allowed to attend the competitions where you feel you want to compete during your career).

Once again, Who you meet in the Winter/Spring, may not be the face you see in the Fall. Your career is based on you and the decisions you make based on your needs (academics, social-life, and a greater level of focus and dedication to sport so you can succeed.)

:idea: "The Sky is the Limit"

Ponny_Up
PV Newbie

Unread postby Ponny_Up » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:41 pm

this thread has helped me soo much! thanks to everyone who had an input regarding college polevaulting...as well as academics!

although i understand that college should be picked by their academics i was wondering if anyone knew of any other colleges around the heartland area that were good in both academics as well as a good track and field program...?!?
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice a gift! - the Pre

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Ponny_Up wrote:this thread has helped me soo much! thanks to everyone who had an input regarding college polevaulting...as well as academics!

although i understand that college should be picked by their academics i was wondering if anyone knew of any other colleges around the heartland area that were good in both academics as well as a good track and field program...?!?

Be more specific... what are you interested in studying?

Ponny_Up
PV Newbie

Unread postby Ponny_Up » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:09 pm

i'm interested in medical studies....biology to be more specific...

Ponny_Up
PV Newbie

Unread postby Ponny_Up » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:11 pm

i'm new to pole vaulting....so i'm not that great (10'9'') is my best so far...but i'm hoping to go higher...i'm a senior and i'm looking for a college that will let me grow as a pole vaulter as well as a good environment...

Return to “Pole Vault - College”