Walking on to Vault in college...

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Cheyla~PVC
PV Beginner

Unread postby Cheyla~PVC » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions and advice. I didn't think about vaulting in college until about now, when I realized that if not, i have one year left to do it in HS, and that made me sad. Anyway, now I think that being able to vault is going to be a big factor in my college decision.
Thanks!
~Chey

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:07 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:i was a walk on... long story.. but it doesn't mean that you cant get money later.. you just gotta prove yourself

holy ish u were only a walk on??.. and ur like jumping 18 now!?. thats crazy...
i run, therefore im buff.

NovaVault
PV Wannabe

Unread postby NovaVault » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:09 pm

Definitely be persistant with the coaches, it took me 5 or 6 calls to my college coach to get him to let me walk on. I knew kids who were told that they couldn't walk on, but asked again after going to school in the fall and were allowed to come out. If you really want to go to a D1 school it might not be a bad idea to look at a school that is known more for distance events, cause a lot of the time they're not worried too much about events like the vault and are more likely to lower their walk on standards.

jp1667
PV Nerd

Unread postby jp1667 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:09 pm

Keep in mind that you can only get athletic scholarships for Div I & II leagues along with NAIA colleges. Division III colleges don't tend to provide scholarships but financial aid/support. I would keep that in mind when you decide to walk on a team if you are looking to get a scholarship or in regards to competition standard heights when jumping.
Where do all the old catapoles go....? Ask Jan.

SKOT
PV Pro

Unread postby SKOT » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:31 pm

be careful with D3 schools. even though they dont cut athelets, it can still be near impossible to jump well. most schools have extremely small budgets for poles. when looking at D3 schools make sure that they have poles for you or you have your own to progress through.

as an example, i go to Hope College in Holland, MI. in short, our school had almost no poles until one of our women took 2nd at nationals and our guys went 1-2-3 in conference last year. luckly our head track coach managed to secure enough money to buy the program 5 guys poles and 5 women's poles.

it is probably a good idea to go to a school that either has the equitment or is willing to buy it for you. i got very lucky in the fact that hope was willing to buy so many poles for us.

jp1667
PV Nerd

Unread postby jp1667 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:53 am

Very true Skot, I was quite surprised on some DIII colleges which had some decent budget $$ and facilities for their vaulting programs, especially NY state system (i.e. SUNY Buffalo, Cortland, Stony Brook).

It all depends on the individual inquiring about the college program (i.e. asking questions and sometimes visit the school) and talking to the T&F coach abou their expectectations. Some coaches might want to revive their program while others add women vaulters which might benefit both genders in getting more poles too.
Where do all the old catapoles go....? Ask Jan.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:36 pm

fong520 wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:i was a walk on... long story.. but it doesn't mean that you cant get money later.. you just gotta prove yourself

yeah.. it freakin sux. the guy that recruited me got fired and he didn't bother to finish any of my paperwork or something. but i still really wanted to come to school here. so i came. and for the first 2 years i had no money, the third year i had 500 dollars, and this year i had like 7000. keep in mind it costs appx 22k to go to school here. next year i still wont be on a full ride. close though. and i love the school, it was worth every dollar. never regretted it.

i have had them buy me over 25 poles in 4 years (all carbons), we will be on our second brand new pit (ucs double bladed 1900 outdoors, and a brand new ucs 1900 single indoors (not because of me but still)). also we have a great indoor place, and all kinds of good stuff

oh yeah the schools pretty good too ;)

but yeah.. scholarship or no scholarship.. go somewhere that you will enjoy and can give you what you want. money is of little importance compared to happiness (okay only to a certain point but you get the idea)
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:17 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:
fong520 wrote:

yeah.. it freakin sux. the guy that recruited me got fired and he didn't bother to finish any of my paperwork or something. but i still really wanted to come to school here. so i came. and for the first 2 years i had no money, the third year i had 500 dollars, and this year i had like 7000. keep in mind it costs appx 22k to go to school here. next year i still wont be on a full ride. close though. and i love the school, it was worth every dollar. never regretted it.

and just found out today... will be on full ride next year.... sooo yeah im pumped

i have had them buy me over 25 poles in 4 years (all carbons), we will be on our second brand new pit (ucs double bladed 1900 outdoors, and a brand new ucs 1900 single indoors (not because of me but still)). also we have a great indoor place, and all kinds of good stuff

oh yeah the schools pretty good too ;)

but yeah.. scholarship or no scholarship.. go somewhere that you will enjoy and can give you what you want. money is of little importance compared to happiness (okay only to a certain point but you get the idea)
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:29 pm

Okay, i have a question now... If thanks okay ;) . How do you get coaches to look at you? Say... I live in Spokane Washington, and i would really really like to vault at BYU. How do i get the coach (Larry Berryhill (spelling?)) To hear of me, or notcie me? Basically, how do you get college coaches to notice your vaulting?
Just you wait...

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:40 pm

Go to BYU's website, and I am sure they have a recruiting form. I filled one out for my college, and the coach contacted me. Since he probably wont' be able to see you jump in person he might request video tape of you vaulting.
Man Up and Jump

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:34 pm

Yup, thats one way, or you can stalk the coach, like i did with a ton of them. Find out their phone number, email, address anything and send them stuff about yourself, i've made a lot of video footage, but only sent it when requested.

The earlier you introduce yourself, the sooner you can start a relationship with whomever you wish to impress (sounds wierd, but thats how it works i guess), don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you're not the top dog in the vault, you are literally going to be "marrying" into an enviornment, once you pick it you either like it or don't

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:11 am

well put izzy
Man Up and Jump

Return to “Pole Vault - College”