wars with other sports

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:27 pm

Alright, you guys think thats bad, try my school. I guess our school doesnt really regulate who gets to use the indoor gym/track, so its pretty much open to as many sports as can possibly crowd inot it. its NOT big, its just a b-ball court with a small indoor track around it, so tahst where we practice during the winter, us pv'ers and a few sprinters. anyways, of course everyone just HAS to use it at the same time everyday, so every darn day all winter, we get stuffed into one corner to vault, with like a 20 ft runway if were lucky, so all we can really do is drills, the volley ball team is in another corner, theres a mob of lacross players in the other 2 corners, then our sprinters goin around the tiny track, along with the girls track team, then thers a bunch of baseball players in the middle, right next to the volley ball team practicing, with a few b-ball players at the baskets. yeah, its a zoo, but worse. i stoped counting how many base balls, volley balls, lacross balls, basketballs, and other junk i get hit with everyday. the average is probably like 5 or 6 hits a day at least, thats how crazy it is in there :dazed: its even worse for the runners goin around the track though. every few minutes theres a pileup cause someone in front tripped over a volleyball, or someone gets nailed by a lacross or baseball. then of course the people are running everywhere, and yelling, although who knows how many countless people we'v accidentaly hit wiht our poles. and then double the chaous the 2 days a week the throwers come in to practice with there little indoor-soft-but still dangerous shot-put things. :confused: some baseball guy got hit in the head with one last year while he was catchin a ball............ yeah, its crazier than you could imagine.... :no:
What have you done today to get better?

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: Bumped from the fieldhouse by football

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:29 pm

PVPhD wrote:My pole vaulters were supposed to vault in the fieldhouse this afternoon - but I just found out that we've been bumped by the football team. A little wind and snow drove them indoors! What wimps! What will they do when they have a game on Saturday and it's still windy and snowy!! Probably lose another game I guess.

AAARGH!

How many SUNYAC titles has the football team won compared to your vaulters, Peter?!? ;)

Tom and I probably had more in 4 years than the whole team had in 10. :yes:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:43 pm

mcminkz05 wrote:Alright, you guys think thats bad, try my school. I guess our school doesnt really regulate who gets to use the indoor gym/track, so its pretty much open to as many sports as can possibly crowd inot it. its NOT big, its just a b-ball court with a small indoor track around it, so tahst where we practice during the winter, us pv'ers and a few sprinters. anyways, of course everyone just HAS to use it at the same time everyday, so every darn day all winter, we get stuffed into one corner to vault, with like a 20 ft runway if were lucky, so all we can really do is drills, the volley ball team is in another corner, theres a mob of lacross players in the other 2 corners, then our sprinters goin around the tiny track, along with the girls track team, then thers a bunch of baseball players in the middle, right next to the volley ball team practicing, with a few b-ball players at the baskets. yeah, its a zoo, but worse. i stoped counting how many base balls, volley balls, lacross balls, basketballs, and other junk i get hit with everyday. the average is probably like 5 or 6 hits a day at least, thats how crazy it is in there :dazed: its even worse for the runners goin around the track though. every few minutes theres a pileup cause someone in front tripped over a volleyball, or someone gets nailed by a lacross or baseball. then of course the people are running everywhere, and yelling, although who knows how many countless people we'v accidentaly hit wiht our poles. and then double the chaous the 2 days a week the throwers come in to practice with there little indoor-soft-but still dangerous shot-put things. :confused: some baseball guy got hit in the head with one last year while he was catchin a ball............ yeah, its crazier than you could imagine.... :no:

You're lucky to be able to do any kind of pole vaulting indoors. Most high schoolers don't have any opportunity to do any kind of vaulting indoors, especially at their own high school.

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:00 pm

well, id be lucky if i had any room to actually DO anything..
What have you done today to get better?

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Inside

Unread postby SlickVT » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:09 am

VTechVaulter is gonna hate me for saying this.... But while I was at Syracuse, Carmelo, Jim Boeheim and and the rest of the national champions were practicing inside our track every day. They were cool about it, even watched and joked around sometimes.

P.S. I wish i was making 50 million plus at age 19... Go Nuggets. :yes:
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

PVPhD
PV Fan
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, USATF Biomechanist
Lifetime Best: 4.67 m
Favorite Vaulter: Mike McGinnis

Unread postby PVPhD » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:19 pm

How many SUNYAC titles has the football team won compared to your vaulters, Peter?!?

The Cortland football team is now in the NJAC (New Jersey Athletic Conference). They are 4-4 with one remaining game tomorrow against Ithaca.

Last year our women vaulters swept the indoor SUNYAC meet (1 thru 4) and the men were 1st and 2nd - but - FOOTBALL always has priority.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:08 pm

Bing, what have we told u about that. YOUR A HOKIE NOW. GET IT RIGHT ;)
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

pistolpete6994
PV Nerd
Expertise: Once a Collegiate Vaulter- Now HS Coach

Unread postby pistolpete6994 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:17 am

I have the same problem here, our tennis coach thinks he runs the facilites and can get away with whatever he wants. My best advice is to do your best and win some meets, the winners tend to get what they want. Unfortunatly up here the track team isn't the winners...... yet.

xtremevaulter

We did at my High School

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:31 am

Finally a place to b**** about something that happened in high school...Our problem was the soccer pricks. we always had to move when ever the showed up on the field...we respected their right to practice but then they would hop up on to the pole vault mats with the spikes on ripping it to s***. GRRR. sorry a lot of built up resentment

Return to “Pole Vault - College”