walking on

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

partymidget
PV Newbie

walking on

Unread postby partymidget » Thu May 15, 2003 4:55 pm

do you think not a big pole vault school but a d-1 like Penn state would let a kid walk on with like a 14 6 or 15 foot jumps?

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Fri May 16, 2003 1:06 am

I dont see why not, it depends on how many people the team can take. But with a 15 ft. jump, im sure a team would welcome you.
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Fri May 16, 2003 8:33 pm

15 ft u canwalkon automatic almost any school esp if they need vaulters and can only give so many scholarships. 16 ft id say a scholorship to about any school in the country. but i do know a guy around here went 14 ft in high school and walked on at Indiana University.
hmmmm

Tigerrrpv
PV Beginner

Unread postby Tigerrrpv » Tue May 20, 2003 8:09 pm

a 15 foot jump will get you on at almost any school I think the hardest part would be staying. The way its done at my school anyone can walk on but walk on guy vaulters have to progress so much like 1st year if you don't go 15 or 15 6 your out. But considering opening heights at any decent meet will be at least 15 thats pretty fair.

gatorhatincracker
PV Fan

Unread postby gatorhatincracker » Tue May 20, 2003 10:15 pm

i would endorse walking on to any school...but i would make sure to make sure its a place you will have the opportunity to improve. Its true that many schools almost mandate a 1ft improvement...but realistically, that is not easy. if you are from a cold weather area like i was...i would suggest going south someplace or a place with a good indoor facility, so you have a good chance of vaulting year round. finally, the vault coach is probably the most important factor, cause he is the one going to bat for you with the head coach. if you can show the vault coach you are willing to work and make sacrifices to improve, he will make sure the head coach realizes this. good luck!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue May 20, 2003 11:15 pm

It also helps at some schools if you can contribute in other ways... like by getting really good grades. There are 7 girls on my team that jump higher than me... but I went out of my way to help out, like traveling on my own to meets to film the team (OK granted it was to my former college where I got to see friends) and I do dorky stuff like run this website :P

ILLINIPV

Unread postby ILLINIPV » Fri May 23, 2003 1:01 pm

I believe that most vaulters shouldn't be discouraged by having to walk on to any collegiate team. It is very realistic for even a successful h.s jumper. If you're looking to walk on, might as well walk on to the best vault team/best school. Something that will pay off in the end. Remember that you are going to have to work harder than the scholarship athletes to get respect and any future scholarship. There are plenty of great vaulters before you that have done this. Good luck to you.

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Fri May 23, 2003 7:17 pm

ILLINIPV wrote:I believe that most vaulters shouldn't be discouraged by having to walk on to any collegiate team. It is very realistic for even a successful h.s jumper. If you're looking to walk on, might as well walk on to the best vault team/best school. Something that will pay off in the end. Remember that you are going to have to work harder than the scholarship athletes to get respect and any future scholarship. There are plenty of great vaulters before you that have done this. Good luck to you.

very true. my dad went 15'3 his senior year in high school back in 1976 and had to walk on at IU but got a scholarship his soph year. Im tellin u 15'3 was a big high school jump back in '76 too. But also it might be easier to get a scholarship to a school not in ur area. They might think "oh hes a towner we dont have to pay him because hes gonna stay here anyways"
hmmmm

superelf03
PV Newbie

Unread postby superelf03 » Mon May 26, 2003 3:38 pm

OK my best jump is 12'6 and I am trying to walk on at Kansas, do you think they will want me?

Ajint_Smith
PV Nerd

Unread postby Ajint_Smith » Mon May 26, 2003 6:02 pm

I think you'll probably need at least 14 to get a look. KS is really good at track (which you probably know). If you're 6' or over or run better than 11.5 100m, it'll help your chances.
The Matrix has you...

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Mon May 26, 2003 7:48 pm

i thnk yall might have it a bit skewed. if ur school has a limit on the size of its team, usually that height wont make, especially if u do one event. somebody from kansas can correct me if i am wrong, but im sure most of there meets start around 15 feet so u might wanna be lookin at 15 to walk on anywhere.
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

smokinvaulter1
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Semi Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.55m
Favorite Vaulter: Joe Dial

Unread postby smokinvaulter1 » Tue May 27, 2003 2:29 pm

I vault for KU and you need to Jump over 15' at least to get a chance on the mens squad. We got 1-15'6" 1@16' 1@ 17'6" and 1@ 18"
Girls we got a 13' and 2 12' coming in.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”