Walking on to Vault in college...

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Cheyla~PVC
PV Beginner

Walking on to Vault in college...

Unread postby Cheyla~PVC » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:06 pm

I was hoping to get some input from all you college/more experienced vaulters out there about the idea of walking onto a college track team to vault. How good would you have to be for them to consider you competing with the team for the school, and what kind of competition would you see as a walk-on? I am really considering choosing my college based on the chances of vaulting there. As a two year vaulter my PR was 9'6" and I have one year left of high school vaulting.

Please reply if you have any suggestions or comments. Thanks!
~Chey

ECVaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby ECVaulter » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:28 pm

Contact the coaches of the schools. Alot of teams will have a certain walk on standard that you have to meet in order to make the team.
"Where are my shoes? Thats it, im going out shoeless."

"Thai chili."

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:34 pm

depends a whole lot on where you go. rainbowgirl could probably give the best answer to this question

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:03 pm

Hah yeah seeing as I am on my 3rd school now...

Let's see I've been cut from one team after about 3 weeks, a walk-on on another team who never got to compete, and now I have a scholarship at an NAIA school.

Here's what I recommend doing:

Make sure you communicate with the coaches at the schools you are interested in. Start now!! Find out what they are looking for in walk-ons, what their policies are for walk-ons (sometimes walk-ons have to follow stricter rules than scholarship athletes), and what their policies are about cutting people.

As you start narrowing down your decision, try and visit as many of the schools you are interested in as possible. Meet both the pole vault coach and the head coach and talk to them.

Here's what you should know:

You could get cut from the team at any point in the season.
Coaches are looking for people with potential (tall, fast, doesn't look like they are going to gain 20 pounds their freshman year).
You are not guaranteed to get clothes and stuff like your scholarship teammates will. Policies vary by school.
You will be less likely to get to travel. If you jump high enough you can earn your spot, but if it comes down to you and a scholarship athlete, they'll be more likely to take them.
When it comes down to you and a scholarship athlete for anything, if it is close they will probably pick them.
You will be expected to boost the team GPA and not cause problems at practice. Coaches do not like high maintenance walk-ons.
Don't count on earning a scholarship just because you jump higher than your teammates. You're already there in school, they're not likely to give you any money unless you start jumping really high. Expect at a minimum to be scoring points at your conference meet to be getting any money, and even that is no guarantee.

I recommend you also apply to some smaller schools as well as some bigger ones. There are lots of Division II, III, and NAIA schools with great coaches. You'll be a lot more likely to be recruited by those schools. Keep your options open!!

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:36 pm

Yeah, just call or e-mail the coaches and they'll let you know what you need to do.
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:01 am

Wow Becca, I just have to say how impressed I was with the advice you just gave. You should sell that to college coaches around the nation to hand out to walk-on athletes. You covered it all.
Man Up and Jump

scubastevesgirly
PV Pro

Unread postby scubastevesgirly » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:27 am

That's sad that they don't necessarily get clothes and stuff :(

If you go to a D III school, you won't get cut!

PV Wannabe

Unread postby 95 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:38 am

So if you get rectruited by a school, but aren't quite good enough to get a scholarship, does that make a person a walk on?

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:45 am

95 wrote:So if you get rectruited by a school, but aren't quite good enough to get a scholarship, does that make a person a walk on?

You'd be an invited walk on. The only benefits are if the school drops academic requirements for athletes, you can get in under the less stringent requirements and the coach may actually remember your name by the end of your freshman year.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:44 am

95 wrote:So if you get rectruited by a school, but aren't quite good enough to get a scholarship, does that make a person a walk on?

That makes you less likely to get cut, but you probably still won't get all the benefits scholarship atheletes have.

CHC04Vault
PV Follower

Unread postby CHC04Vault » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:39 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:

That makes you less likely to get cut, but you probably still won't get all the benefits scholarship atheletes have.

However, if u are decent enough, coaches will "allocate" some money, for "outstanding personal achievment" and you wound have to worry about running if u get injuried. There is alot of benifits to being a walk on athlete. Im pretty much going for free, just have decent grades, helps a whole lot.
"Good my jump, it will be done" Bubka

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:57 pm

i was a walk on... long story.. but it doesn't mean that you cant get money later.. you just gotta prove yourself
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Return to “Pole Vault - College”