What's the overall best school to vault at?

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:30 pm

So Peepers, after starting this marathon thread, have you made any decisions, yet?

femvltr85
PV Newbie

hello

Unread postby femvltr85 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Im in the process of transfering to a D1 school and I have found out it is best to talk to the coach in person and not talk to the assistant coach for all the answers. Sometimed they have no clue on what is really going on. I talked to an assistant coach of a university and he told me ther is a big possibility I would get atleast half a scholarship. I talked to the head Pole vault coach and found out only 3-4 scholarships are given to the female pole vaulters.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: hello

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:57 pm

femvltr85 wrote:Im in the process of transfering to a D1 school and I have found out it is best to talk to the coach in person and not talk to the assistant coach for all the answers. Sometimed they have no clue on what is really going on. I talked to an assistant coach of a university and he told me ther is a big possibility I would get atleast half a scholarship. I talked to the head Pole vault coach and found out only 3-4 scholarships are given to the female pole vaulters.

I agree with some of this... if the pole vault coach is not the head coach, you should try and meet with the head coach at some point.

I wish I had done so before I transferred to Georgia, then I might have found at that I would not be eligible before I got there (because I transferred within the conference).

Lucky for me here at Lindenwood, my pole vault coach is also the head coach. Of course the not so lucky thing is that makes him a lot busier.

jmpngblonde
PV Nerd

Unread postby jmpngblonde » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:43 pm

University of Florida, where I am going next year, also has a great program. They're well funded and have good facilities as well as a good coach....they have girls jumping in the high 12's and at least one over 13 already...:-)

saxonharrier
PV Newbie

Unread postby saxonharrier » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:26 pm

It seems to me that the only schools being mentioned are big time division I programs. Division I is not the only choice and often times it is not even the best choice. If you are at all serious about academics then there should be at least one Division III school on your list. Nothing against division I, it’s just a whole different world. Division III is where you will find you true student athletes. You’ve all been told since you were little how hard it is to get into the NFL or the NBA. Well guess what? Becoming a professional pole vaulter is at least ten times as hard. The purpose of college is not to play sports. Athletics is merely another tool for education.

People often think that Division III athletics is a lesser alternative to Division I. If you are at the highest level of Division I this might be true. If your not, and most people aren’t, Division III is just as good. There are a lot of high quality division III track programs out there, some of them better that a lot of division I schools. Wisconsin Lacrosse, Carthage College, Calvin College and Washington University in St. Louis are all top notch schools and very good programs that perennially produce high quality vaulters.

Don’t limit your self to the big time; find some place that fits you academically as well as athletically.

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:31 pm

saxonharrier wrote:It seems to me that the only schools being mentioned are big time division I programs. Division I is not the only choice and often times it is not even the best choice. If you are at all serious about academics then there should be at least one Division III school on your list. Nothing against division I, it’s just a whole different world. Division III is where you will find you true student athletes. You’ve all been told since you were little how hard it is to get into the NFL or the NBA. Well guess what? Becoming a professional pole vaulter is at least ten times as hard. The purpose of college is not to play sports. Athletics is merely another tool for education.

People often think that Division III athletics is a lesser alternative to Division I. If you are at the highest level of Division I this might be true. If your not, and most people aren’t, Division III is just as good. There are a lot of high quality division III track programs out there, some of them better that a lot of division I schools. Wisconsin Lacrosse, Carthage College, Calvin College and Washington University in St. Louis are all top notch schools and very good programs that perennially produce high quality vaulters.

Don’t limit your self to the big time; find some place that fits you academically as well as athletically.

I agree! :)

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:34 pm

GO MARQUETTE!!!! :P

skyin' pimp
PV Whiz

Unread postby skyin' pimp » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:34 am

come jump at MN State Moorhead..
it's flat, cold, windy, and the facilities are definetely sub par.. but, they're jumpin' high.. 'cause i'm the coolest coach in the world.. yeah.. i said it
confuscious says: man with four balls doesn't walk

blakedow
PV Nerd

Unread postby blakedow » Tue May 10, 2005 11:59 am

I'm going to have to say that Texas State is one of the best schools to jump at... Great coach... Great facilities.... Great Weather... oh yeah, and there is a river that is 72 degrees year-round five minutes walking distance away...
4.75... Write THAT down...

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Thu May 19, 2005 8:01 pm

blakedow wrote:I'm going to have to say that Texas State is one of the best schools to jump at... Great coach... Great facilities.... Great Weather... oh yeah, and there is a river that is 72 degrees year-round five minutes walking distance away...

so why not just travel 20 more minutes up I-35 to go to school??

hook 'em ;)
8700... mark it down

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Thu May 19, 2005 8:53 pm

TreyDECA wrote:
blakedow wrote:I'm going to have to say that Texas State is one of the best schools to jump at... Great coach... Great facilities.... Great Weather... oh yeah, and there is a river that is 72 degrees year-round five minutes walking distance away...

so why not just travel 20 more minutes up I-35 to go to school??

hook 'em ;)

Cause TxSt actually allows the guys to socialize with the gals. :yes:

Seriously though, Longhorns make good employees...used to have 9 of them working for me for about half my salary.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Thu May 19, 2005 10:40 pm

I would say Arizona State is definitely climbing the ranks quickly. Within two years of actually have a vault program (yes there have been vaulters through ASU, but not actual vault team) we've a guy and girl each in top 3 at pac-10's, one person 7th and indoor NC's, and another redshirting right now thats jumped 13' 4" two meets in a row. So all in all, guy who has hit 540, and one girl oer 13' 5 1/2 (2 meets in a row) and one over 13' 4" two meets in a row... Several guys in our program will be looking for some big bars next season as well...so it's getting there
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

Return to “Pole Vault - College”