Title IX

News from the collegiate ranks

Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

Collegeposter
PV Newbie

Title IX

Unread postby Collegeposter » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:31 am

I did a project on Title IX and part of the project was to make an ad and place it in a appropriate public place. Since my ad is in Powerpoint format I am going to make it avalable online by e-mailing me at collegeposter@hotmail.com. Thanks for listening.

(I know none of you care about my school work but it was part of the assignment and this is the most relevent place that i know of online to put it.)[/img][/url]

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:03 pm

title ix is always an interesting topic. what did the project focus on? proportionality, track and field, other "non revenue sports" like wrestling, soccer, gymnastics etc, ? has title ix been successful? should it go? should we start applying similar quotas to drama, music as well as sports? im too lazy to email about the powerpoint, but if you had to type a paper as well. i would read it if you posted the text here. most people here would probably benefit from more knowledge about title ix, especially the younger male and female vaulters.
so, if you have anything in just a text format post away, it would be probably be interesting reading

Collegeposter
PV Newbie

Unread postby Collegeposter » Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:24 pm

It started off being specific to a certain team that was cut but ended up being more general. What i focused on most was how schools take an easy way out when trying to get in compliance with title ix by making the ratio of male sports opportunities at their school to female equal to the ratio of males to females at their school. To do this (since most schools athletic programs are working with a deficit) the usually cut current mens team instead of adding women. What is wrong with this is there are a few other options the school has. Even if they dont add a womens team to even the numbers they can keep the mens team and show that they have a history of expansion and support of their current womens teams. Whats really ironic about the whole thing is Title IX was put in place to protect equal rights and opportunities for both genders and to comply with this schools are cutting programs and destroying athletic opportunities because their men's teams.

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:00 pm

while title IX has it's flaws, i'm glad it was put in place. it was put in place to encourage girls to participate in collegiate athletics, which it has done. the problems with it include: faulty ADs who think it's sound to do what Collegeposter was talking about and cut men's programs instead of adding women's programs- in this case no one wins. good job Mr. AD, you have successfully angered both genders. another problem is that there are such loopholes which allow this to continue.

title IX needs to be tweaked, i'll agree, but i'm still glad that it's there. and yes, i am a girl. yes, i do benefit from it, and no, i don't think that title IX is unfair towards minority men's sports- blame your ADs. they are the one's cutting the programs in spite of other solutions to the problem.

wow, that may have been my first soap box speech on here!
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:51 pm

I agree with Peeps. I was talking to one of the other coaches at my school and he said that for his college paper he wrote about Title 9. He found that one college could not find girls to give golf scholorships to. Hearing that realy makes me mad because all the time I hear how realy amazing guys can't get any money.

KentStatePV
PV Wannabe

Unread postby KentStatePV » Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:51 pm

Speaking of college papers, if anyone is interested, I just wrote this paper this semester dealing with title IX. feel free to what you will with it, but Id like to get feedback from anyone about your thoughts of my paper.

thanks!

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~pmreynol/TitleIXpaper.rtf
Pete Reynolds

"Like surfing, for example, pole vaulting is a lifestyle. It's different than any other sport -- you're competing against guys, but they're also your best friends." - Dean Starkey

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:10 pm

I like women, and women sports but Title IX is a load of s***! The lengths to which it goes are ridiculous. You know why AD's have to cut mens programs instead of adding womens all the time. Becuase there is no $$$$. How are you supposed to match the muti-million dollar budgets of mens football. You can't just pull that money out of thin air. So its easy, to comply with title IX, all you have to do is cut every other mens sport and then add some womens sports and give them a budget so big they don't even know what to do with the money.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:30 pm

Title 9 was meant for a good thing. I believe that it's initial, honest intent was to give women the same equal rights as men. Unfortunately, our world doesn't make sense most of the time, and where ever we can take short cuts to get what we want, we (for the majority I think) take the short cut. Cutting men's teams that have nothing to do with the politics of equal rights is sad. I was part of a round up of men't athletic teams that were threatened to be cut. The saddest thing was watching the 5th year seniors scramble to get to another school to finish their collegiate careers, and hearing the answers from the other universities that didn't want a 5th year senior. Consequently (after they finally decided to keep the four teams) the football team was cut years later. In the end it always came down to money, it never comes down to morals or ethics. Hurray for title 9!
"If you don't want to be
a deadbeat like me,
I won't blame you." Owen

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:37 am

Beam wrote:Title 9 was meant for a good thing. I believe that it's initial, honest intent was to give women the same equal rights as men. Unfortunately, our world doesn't make sense most of the time, and where ever we can take short cuts to get what we want, we (for the majority I think) take the short cut. Cutting men's teams that have nothing to do with the politics of equal rights is sad. I was part of a round up of men't athletic teams that were threatened to be cut. The saddest thing was watching the 5th year seniors scramble to get to another school to finish their collegiate careers, and hearing the answers from the other universities that didn't want a 5th year senior. Consequently (after they finally decided to keep the four teams) the football team was cut years later. In the end it always came down to money, it never comes down to morals or ethics. Hurray for title 9!

since football is a huge problem when it comes to "minor" or "non-revenue" mens sports especially when associated with title ix. it is actually kind of cool that a school would have enough guts to cut a football program.
this is not to say that it is anything bad about football players, but while most collegiate sports are about amaturism and competing for the love of a sport, these big sports like football and to some extent basketball have simply become like semi-professional teams.
im glad to be a student-athlete, and im also glad to be graduating after 4 years of college.

Beam
PV Nerd

Unread postby Beam » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:39 pm

I don't think it's necessarily about having "guts" as you put it, but I think it's depressing all the way around for everybody, including the minor league football, baseball, and basketball teams in college. I have the furthest thing from football mentality, but I enjoy watching it and love the thought that pride comes to a school when a team does well. Taking away from any athletes of either sex just to create a false equality isn't right. Many people base a school's athletic power through the prestige of their football teams. It's hard to recruit pole vaulters to a school that doesn't have a supportive athletic program. And schools with really good football teams and a supportive track team have more recruting power than a school with just a supportive track program IMHO.
"If you don't want to be

a deadbeat like me,

I won't blame you." Owen

Return to “Pole Vault - College”