Moderators: lonpvh, VaultnGus

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

wars with other sports

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:09 pm

does anyone have any contorversey with another sport using the inside of your track? Or areas around your track?

The reason i ask is the Girls volleyball coach says he gets disrupted while he is coaching if we are vaulting BEHIND his back. He got the administration to ask us to stop vaulting while he has practice, now we dont have any other time to practice.

anyone have this problem, or does it just suck to be me?
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:14 pm

If another sport used the inside of our track they would get hit by hammers :P

The kickers on the football team often practice at the same time we are vaulting. Our pit is sorta behind one of the goals. I swear sometimes they aim for us... today I was narrowly missed twice, hitting my pole both times! :eek:

We pretty much have control of our track when the whole team is out there. If other sports are going to be doing conditioning or something on our track they usually schedule around us.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

oh we got it bad

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:37 pm

So with our outdoor track

The F#CKIN MARCHING BAD practices on our infield. THey play the stupidest stuff and we cant hear a word our coach is saying.

Indoor track

We have a little man named Denny, aka the Field House Nazi. Brian Hunter (eventual NCAA CHampion, thats right he was a hokei first) pretty muched pissed him off to no end, and now he hates all vaulters. So every other sport at this university gets dibs to the field hose over us. Our offical time is from like 7-9, but if football decides they need it, we are downright screwed.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:56 am

Football team. well, they say it isnt that, but i dont believe a word. they say "you will tear up too much grass." right, because my old coach (age-wise), and 4 other guys are going to tear the hell out of the grass that we sit on. *sigh*

uconnvaulta
PV Whiz

Same problem

Unread postby uconnvaulta » Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:05 pm

Here at uconn we have the same problem whether it be soccer or football, but when football practices inside due to rain we are unable, they just lock all the doors to the indoor track and do there thing while we sit there with our coaches telling us they cant do anything. Track gets no recognition over in connecticut, it suks so bad, we barely get any money, get the least amount of attention and get no suppliments or anything, now that our schools football team went D1 it is this schools goal to actually make it good, which takes money and time away from us, it suks oh well, we have more big east championships then them and we have more heart and we are better athletes, so screw them
Train Harder than your competition

DFW-ELITEpv
PV Wannabe

Unread postby DFW-ELITEpv » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:58 pm

We don't have that problem. For the ones that are, get one of you vaulters to study Law and negotiate.
If this fails, get them together for a meeting and MAKE THEM AN OFFER they can't refuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:14 am

i go to a d3 school and some sports occasionally have the problem of football crowding them out. our biggest problem the past two years in the fall has been temporary bleachers for the chicago fire major league soccer team taking up all but two lanes of out outdoor track. they played a couple of seasons in our stadium while soldier field was rennovated. the way our fieldhouse since our indoor facilities arent the best(our indoor track is 12 laps a mile in lane one) sports are given times when they can use the gym. we do seem to get the preferred time durring track season. of course some sports have to work out at pretty weird times. right now we get pelted with vollyballs while we vault because we practice at the same time. the scariest practice ever was last year durring outdoors when the baseball team's field was flooded and they decided that they would practice on the infield of the football field. they were practicing fielding balls but were hitting them in the direction of our runway.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:24 am

Skyin' Brian wrote:they were practicing fielding balls but were hitting them in the direction of our runway.

Better hope you have good baseball players then! :eek:

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:36 am

We had to duck for lacrosse balls coming our way back at Cortland State in the day! :dazed:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Re: oh we got it bad

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:00 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:So with our outdoor track

The F#CKIN MARCHING BAD practices on our infield. THey play the stupidest stuff and we cant hear a word our coach is saying.

ohhh, my friend who's in the Drum and Bugle Corps got sooooooo pissed when I told him you said that...lol

gatorhatincracker
PV Fan

Unread postby gatorhatincracker » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:25 pm

everyone needs to jump at the famous "Bubble" at the Univ of South Carolina. in addition to the buzzing lights, we also get to hear the mellow thumps of thousands of tennis balls hitting the court, and fence as we run along side it toward the box. ask skycock or carolina21. they ll agree there isnt a worse facility in the United States.
Coach Frye: IF ITS TO BE....
USC TEAM (in unison) I M IN CLIQUE 3!

PVPhD
PV Fan
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, USATF Biomechanist
Lifetime Best: 4.67 m
Favorite Vaulter: Mike McGinnis

Bumped from the fieldhouse by football

Unread postby PVPhD » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:49 pm

My pole vaulters were supposed to vault in the fieldhouse this afternoon - but I just found out that we've been bumped by the football team. A little wind and snow drove them indoors! What wimps! What will they do when they have a game on Saturday and it's still windy and snowy!! Probably lose another game I guess.

AAARGH!

Return to “Pole Vault - College”