Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Scott Winsor (Notre Dame) to replace Fraley at Fresno State

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:08 pm

http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/bulldog ... 24035.html

Bulldogs tab Fraley's successor
Winsor selected to coach Fresno State track and field.
By Bryant-Jon Anteola / The Fresno Bee
07/10/08 23:16:38

Fresno State hired longtime Notre Dame assistant Scott Winsor as its track and field coach Thursday.

Winsor replaces Bob Fraley, who is retiring after 28 years.

"We are very excited to have Scott join Fresno State," Fresno State athletic director Thomas Boeh said in a news release. "His extensive expertise and leadership will be important as we continue to advance the proud tradition of Fresno State track and field."
Winsor, who was unavailable for comment Wednesday, spent the past 20 years as an assistant coach under Joe Piane. Winsor, 45, coached both the jumps and the throws until turning his attention solely to the jumps in 2003.

During his tenure, Winsor coached 13 All-Americans, 25 NCAA regional qualifiers, 23 Big East Conference champions, and five conference record-setting athletes.

This past season, the men's team won the Big East title and the Irish coaching staff was named the Big East Men's Coaching Staff of the Year, the 11th award for the staff.

Fraley applauded Winsor's hiring and expressed hope that it would stabilize a program that has been operating on shaky ground since the university cut four sports in 2003.

Fraley saved the program from cuts by forfeiting his $93,000 annual salary and instead coaching for free.

"It's just a huge relief to me to see our program move forward," Fraley said. "There were a lot of people always telling our athletes, telling recruits, 'they're going to cut track and field. You should consider moving or not go there.'

"This hiring of a very qualified coach shows the administration is behind the program. Maybe it'll stop those rumors."

In addition, the track and field's budget has increased the past two seasons, from $38,300 for men and $89,600 for women in 2006-07 to $69,800 for men and $119,400 for women in 2007-08.

Details of Winsor's contract were not immediately known.

Winsor's background also seems to fit with the Bulldogs' strength in pole vaulting.

This past season, Winsor coached Mary Saxer to the Big East championship, Big East record and Notre Dame record of 13 feet, 11/2 inches in the pole vault.

Winsor is expected to hold a news conference sometime next week.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:10 pm

I hate to be snarky, but if you're trying to highlight someone's pole vault coaching experience, I don't know that announcing they now have a former high school record holder jumping a foot lower is the way to do it...

kat_vaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby kat_vaulter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:53 pm

well put Becca!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:59 pm

That's not to say he won't be a good head coach, the qualities to be a good head coach have little to do with actual coaching.

Or to say he isn't a good pole vault coach. Just saying that's probably not the best example to use.

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:55 pm

A girl I used to coach went to Notre Dame and had Scott as her primary coach. I have nothing but good things to say about him and am pleasantly surprised that Fresno State was able to recognize his attributes, which go far beyond the technical aspects of coaching an event, because many of them don't show up on a resume. If I had a child of my own, I would be very pleased if Scott were his/her coach.

I think he's a great hire and predict that he will be a great successor to Coach Fraley.

TheMikeYassay
PV Newbie

Re: Scott Winsor (Notre Dame) to replace Fraley at Fresno State

Unread postby TheMikeYassay » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:59 am

Winsor was a great man with a heart of gold but told me i was slow and didnt know how to vault lol its all good though good luck at fresno state
MJY

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Re: Scott Winsor (Notre Dame) to replace Fraley at Fresno State

Unread postby CowtownPV » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:31 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.fresnobee.com/sports/bulldogs/story/724035.html
In addition, the track and field's budget has increased the past two seasons, from $38,300 for men and $89,600 for women in 2006-07 to $69,800 for men and $119,400 for women in 2007-08.

More proof of "Gender Equity" in college.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”