Morrison hopes to break Skipper's record by end of summer

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Morrison hopes to break Skipper's record by end of summer

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:20 pm

I can't wait to see him jump in Indy! :)

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/st ... ran=196708

Morrison captures pole vault but falls short of his goal
By LARRY RUBAMA , The Virginian-Pilot
© June 12, 2006

RICHMOND - Great Bridge pole vaulter Mike Morrison, competing in his final high school track meet in Virginia, hoped to clear 18 feet, which would have put him among the nation's top all-time high school pole vaulters.

But Morrison - who has a personal-best of 17-6-1/2 - fell short . He easily cleared 16-6 to win the inaugural MileStat.com Elite Track pole vault Sunday at Sports Backers Stadium, but missed three attempts at 17-2.

"It was perfect conditions all day. I couldn't ask for better," said Morrison, who is headed to the University of Florida in the fall. "I just couldn't get my steps down. They were all off. I also think I rushed it when I should have slowed down."

Morrison's mindset changed after he cleared 17-6-1/2 two weeks ago at the Eastern Region meet. That's the best ever by a Virginia high school pole vaulter and is the nation's top mark this spring. It broke former Olympian and Great Bridge vaulter Lawrence Johnson's school record.

"I just want to improve each time," Morrison said. "I expect to go 17 feet every time out."

Next week, Morrison will compete at the Nike Outdoor Nationals meet in Greensboro . That will be followed by the Junior Nationals meet in Indianapolis. He'll also compete in Puerto Rico and China this summer.

Before the summer's over, Morrison hopes to get the national record of 18-3 by Oregon's Tommy Skipper in 2003.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:59 pm

Id love to see that, hes an amazing vaulter and i think if the right things happen he may be able to get there. Just stay positive :yes:
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:21 pm

I hope to also. Age and ability may hold me back though.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

pole bender
PV Nerd

Unread postby pole bender » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:54 pm

I wonder if he has ever tried to jump that high in practice? 17'6" to 18'3"...big jump. (Eric Eshback(sp?) had a great day and prd 3 times , i think , and ended up with the HS NR. 18'4"? love to see it!

ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ACvault » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:02 pm

well he'll get a chance at indy, and then here in baltimore morgan state has the national jr olympics I believe.....

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”