time limit rule?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

pvjackex
PV Whiz

time limit rule?

Unread postby pvjackex » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:11 pm

what is the time limit for high school to vault from the time they call your name to be up

tiki man
PV Beginner

Unread postby tiki man » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:39 pm

Rule 7 Section 2 (Jumping Events) Art 5
[2nd sentence] A competitor shall initiate a trial that is carried to completion within: a. One and one-half minutes in the pole vault
[skip past b. ]
However, when three or fewer competitors remain in the competition,...those in pole vault will be allowed four minutes to initiate a jump. When one competitor remains six minutes in the pole vault.
tiki man

tiki man
PV Beginner

Unread postby tiki man » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:43 pm

But ... looking in the book Rule 7 section 5 (pole vault) Artic;e 29
it is a foul if the competior
[skip a-d]
e. fails to initiate a trial that is carried to completion within the defined tim period (1 minute) after being called and after the crossbar and standards have been set.
tiki man

pvjackex
PV Whiz

Unread postby pvjackex » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:45 pm

thx for reply tiki, where can i look at the rules?

tiki man
PV Beginner

Unread postby tiki man » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:46 pm

my sense is the parenthetical reference in Rule 7 section 5 article 29 item e is incorrect and should be omitted. Then the "defined time" is what is listed in Rule 7 Section 2 article 5 item a.

Hope this helps...it shure helped my number of post :)
tiki man

tiki man
PV Beginner

Unread postby tiki man » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:02 pm

I just went and looked through google and was unable to locate a complete text version--which is neccessary as noted above. The NFHS website will let you order one for around $7. But ask your coach to look over his/hers. I coach a high school in Atlanta and have found people to make up rules.
tiki man

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:04 pm

I think the rule should be 10 seconds. You should be ready vault when your name is called. I hate seeing people sit down at the end of the runway and waste a bunch of time. at the most 30 seconds, i could see if you were waiting for the wind, but thats not really a ligitament excuse.
i think before my days are done.

pvjackex
PV Whiz

Unread postby pvjackex » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:27 pm

well, thats your opinion but i think most vaulters would agree with me that 10 sec is not enough. i dont take up all the 90sec , but its a mental thing. it assures you have time to prepare yourself and go when your ready.

frozensteele
PV Nerd

Unread postby frozensteele » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:49 pm

Ten seconds isn't nearly enough. I haven't seen anyone use close to the full ninety seconds though. I probably use thirty seconds just so I can calm my nerves.

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:36 am

I noticed this inconsistency too. Here's what I think happened. A year or two ago they amended the pv time limit rule in 7-2-5(a) to be 1.5 minutes instead of the 1 minute for other jumps. Unfortunately, they forgot to change 7-5-29(e) at the same time. Legislators make these kinds of errors all of the time. I plan to write the NFHS and ask for a clarification. My legal judgment is that when 2 rules are inconsitent, the more recently enacted rule is the one that should govern the situation. So the 1.5 minute rule is what should control.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

BrandoAZ
PV Fan

Unread postby BrandoAZ » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:07 am

tiki man wrote:I just went and looked through google and was unable to locate a complete text version--which is neccessary as noted above. The NFHS website will let you order one for around $7. But ask your coach to look over his/hers. I coach a high school in Atlanta and have found people to make up rules.

Where in Atlanta do you coach? I realize people make up rules. I vault at lakeside high school. Our coach isn't really a 'vault coach' so he isnt exactly aware of all the rules.. or how to coach us for that matter :dazed:

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:17 pm

I hate seeing people sit down at the end of the runway and waste a bunch of time.

i'd actually like to see u try to start a jump in 10 seconds. i peronsally like to use my time. its mine, my time on the runway to clear my mind, focus on the vault, and charge up my speed boosters. Just cause ur a "ten second man" doesnt mean everyone else is, u have to respect others' right to get prepared to jump.
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”