State records

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

Pat Coffee
PV Newbie

State records

Unread postby Pat Coffee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:32 am

I have noticed over the years of being involved in Junior Olympics, that the state records seem to get better from North to South. Here in MN, it is 15-7. I know that Nebraska, it is 16-4. Do they consistantly get better as you go south? What are the records and what is everyones thoughts on this?

vaultgirl1028
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaultgirl1028 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:28 pm

where did you find ur states record cause ive been looking for GA's girl hs record and cant find it! its driving me crazy.
PR: 12'
I believe i can fly.....?

Pat Coffee
PV Newbie

Vault Girl

Unread postby Pat Coffee » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:39 pm

You will have to go to your state high school league web site. I follow Nebraska cause I use to live there. Sorry...

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:43 pm

Illinois HS..i think, someone correct me if i'm wrong please...

Guys- 16'7'' Tim Johnson

Girls-13'3'' Sarah Landau

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:14 pm

maybe the records get better as you go down south because the weather is warmer and they can jump outdoors year round...just a thought.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:33 pm

Well, lets consider this, what about where Mary Saxer and company are from for example.......i'm not trying to challenge anybody i know that this is just speculation ;) this is just some food for thought
Last edited by izzystikchik on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tdimitri
PV Newbie

Unread postby tdimitri » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:42 pm

the texas record is 18 ft something (maybe 8 inches) but the weather sucks in the winter also and there are not very many indoor facilities. but summer weather is good

tdimitri

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

going south

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:57 pm

I don't believe the weather is the key!! Typically you will see clusters of good vaulters in various areas around the country. These successes are indicators of good coaches and a strong community of vaulters. If the going South thing were true we'd all move to Key West!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: going south

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:07 pm

ladyvolspvcoach wrote:I don't believe the weather is the key!! Typically you will see clusters of good vaulters in various areas around the country. These successes are indicators of good coaches and a strong community of vaulters. If the going South thing were true we'd all move to Key West!

I agree. How many high school vaulters from Mississippi and Alabama are ranked in the top 50 in the country? How many are from New York and New Jersey?

vaulter894
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter894 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:21 pm

for NY, indoors is 15-10 or 16 by Dan Tierney, it changed hands the last 2 years starting with Andrew Park jumping 15-9 to tie Ryan Dall's record then a year later A guy (can't remember his name) jumped 15-10 from Shenendoah then a week after 15-10 Tierney jumped 15-10 3/4 and then went up to 16 i believe, 14-2 for Mary Saxer indoors, OUtdoor is 16-4 3/4 Ryan Dall, and Tiffany M. 13-5 or 13-6 at least i think she did that outdoors
Go BIG or Go HOME

BrownPV2009
PV Wannabe

Unread postby BrownPV2009 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:42 pm

I think that the key to being one of the top vaulting states is providing vaulters with areas to vault year-round (not necessarily outdoors). I think that the recent success by pole vaulters in New York and New Jersey is based on the fact that facilities are more accessible for vaulters and more vaulters are jumping year round. This is why prior to the past 2 or 3 years, the top vaulters in the country could be expected to be from areas like Florida, Texas and Cali, where there is a lot more opportunity weatherwise to vault year round.

The northeast is makin a comeback this year. Word

*TigerVault*
PV Whiz
Location: Mckendree College in Lebanon, IL - Hometown: Herrin, IL

Unread postby *TigerVault* » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:16 pm

"I think that the key to being one of the top vaulting states is providing vaulters with areas to vault year-round (not necessarily outdoors). I think that the recent success by pole vaulters in New York and New Jersey is based on the fact that facilities are more accessible for vaulters and more vaulters are jumping year round. This is why prior to the past 2 or 3 years, the top vaulters in the country could be expected to be from areas like Florida, Texas and Cali, where there is a lot more opportunity weatherwise to vault year round."

ya i agree, and i think having an indoor facility definitally helps because u dont have to start later into the spring when its warm enough to go outside, but i dont really think weather is the key either.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”