Winning Height 6' at Caddo Relays (article)

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Winning Height 6' at Caddo Relays (article)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:32 pm

http://www.bossierpress.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=41

This is no April Fool joke; winning height in pole vault was six feet in Caddo Relays
PDF 
| Print |

Written by Jerry Byrd   

Friday, 01 April 2005

Considering the date, I couldn’t blame you for thinking this is a joke. It may be a joke, but, according to the daily paper across the river, it really happened.

Ten Caddo Parish high schools participated in the Caddo Relays last week.

Only one pole vaulter cleared the opening height.

Six feet.

I have been watching local high school track and field meets for more than a half-century. This is the only time the winning height in the high jump was higher than the winning height in the pole vault.

It is also the only time I can recall the winning height in the girls’ pole vault being a foot higher than the winning height in the boys’ pole vault.

Apparently, none of the Caddo coaches had enough time or made enough effort to develop a vaulter.

On the same day, Class 2A Lakeside (Sibley) took first and third in its meet as one vaulter cleared 12 feet and another 11-6.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. The opening height for the boys’ pole vault in high school should never be less than nine feet. If a boy can’t clear nine feet, he shouldn’t be competing in a meet. The opening height for the girls’ pole vault shouldn’t be lower than eight feet. In the Jonesboro-Hodge meet a couple of weeks ago, the opening height for the girls’ pole vault was 4-6. If a girl needs a pole to clear 4-6, she may be in the wrong sport.

In most (if not all) physical education classes, you can find a boy capable of clearing nine feet and a girl capable of clearing eight feet with a few weeks of practice. Lowering the standards to 6-0 and 4-6 turns the event into a farce.

For 30 years, Bossier Parish produced its share of pole vault champions -- starting with Amos Lee of Haughton in 1937, the first year schools were divided into two classifications. He cleared 11-6, using a bamboo pole. Buddy Franks of Haughton won the Class B pole vault in 1941 with 10-9, with a bamboo pole. Then Bossier High coach Randol Kirkland produced two state champions: Bobby Ray McHalffey in 1949, James Honeycutt in 1951 and 1952.

Plain Dealing had four pole vault champions in a 15-year span: Billy Anderson in 1951, Al Johnson and Henry Keeth in 1961 (they were part of a three-way tie for first) and Wayne Horton in 1966, who may have been the parish’s first 12-footer.

Since 1966, the only Bossier Parish state champion was Chris Romano of Benton, who won the 1997 state meet with 13-0 and was selected on the All-State team in 1998 with a parish record 14-9, although he didn’t win the state championship in his senior season.

All-State track and field teams date back to 1953, consisting of the best athletes in each event, regardless of classification. In more than 50 years, Romano is the only All-State pole vaulter from Bossier Parish. The only Caddo Parish All-Staters are Doyle Etheridge (1956) and Russell Adams (1977) of Fair Park and Wayne Nelson (1959) of Byrd.

Nelson was the only All-State vaulter produced by legendary Byrd coach Woodrow Turner, whose teams won nine state titles in 12 years. But he usually had a couple of 11- or 12-foot vaulters who were competitive, often capable of scoring a few points in the state meet.

Bossier Parish may not have a state champion vaulter this year, but I will be surprised if a half dozen vaulters don’t clear 10 feet or more by the end of the season.

Jerry Byrd is sports editor of the Bossier Press-Tribune and an award- winning columnist. You may contact him at (office) 747-7900 or (home) 603-0680. Fax number is 747-5298. E-mail address is  (home) jbsportswriter@juno.com

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:40 pm

that's just wrong!!! :dazed:

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:42 pm

I didn't know there was anybody who couldn't get at least 6'6, let alone win at that hight.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Re: Winning Height 6' at Caddo Relays (article)

Unread postby MightyMouse » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:04 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:http://www.bossierpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=684&Itemid=41
Six feet.

I have been watching local high school track and field meets for more than a half-century. This is the only time the winning height in the high jump was higher than the winning height in the pole vault.

It is also the only time I can recall the winning height in the girls’ pole vault being a foot higher than the winning height in the boys’ pole vault.

Apparently, none of the Caddo coaches had enough time or made enough effort to develop a vaulter.

On the same day, Class 2A Lakeside (Sibley) took first and third in its meet as one vaulter cleared 12 feet and another 11-6.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. The opening height for the boys’ pole vault in high school should never be less than nine feet. If a boy can’t clear nine feet, he shouldn’t be competing in a meet. The opening height for the girls’ pole vault shouldn’t be lower than eight feet. In the Jonesboro-Hodge meet a couple of weeks ago, the opening height for the girls’ pole vault was 4-6. If a girl needs a pole to clear 4-6, she may be in the wrong sport.

In most (if not all) physical education classes, you can find a boy capable of clearing nine feet and a girl capable of clearing eight feet with a few weeks of practice. Lowering the standards to 6-0 and 4-6 turns the event into a farce.

That needs to be forwarded to every track coach in the US
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

AznPvter
PV Newbie

Unread postby AznPvter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:09 pm

[It is also the only time I can recall the winning height in the girls’ pole vault being a foot higher than the winning height in the boys’ pole vault. ]

Lol this may have been in my league...two years ago at League Finals. Kirsten Loftin 12'4'' highest Varsity boy (sophomore) 11'6''

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:16 pm

I think 8' is a little high for opening height for girls at ALL meets, unless they have varsity and JV separate.

VaulteRachello
PV Nerd

Unread postby VaulteRachello » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:35 pm

"I have been watching local high school track and field meets for more than a half-century. This is the only time the winning height in the high jump was higher than the winning height in the pole vault. "

that is soo crazy!!!! truly insane if you ask me. they really should make a standard opening height, or do something. i dont know......crazy stuff..... :P

Bonevt
PV Whiz

Unread postby Bonevt » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:15 am

I think that in a lot of places the girls opening heights are alot lower then guys, its not fair. At the new jersey state indoor championship the opening for girls was 8ft and for the guys 12ft. I see this all through out the year. It made sence to have the girls height lower for a little while during the first couple of years of compitition. But now it has reached a point where its only hurting the sport. Not everything in life has to be fun and able for everyone to do.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:14 am

4' is not an unfair difference.

vaultgirl1028
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaultgirl1028 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:30 pm

ha at one meet these 3 girls asked to start at 4 ft!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was insane! ha and 2 of them didnt make it. (the next one getting out at 4'6'') they were really nice so no one wanted to make fun of them but still...thats pretty sad.
PR: 12'
I believe i can fly.....?

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:36 pm

vaultgirl1028 wrote:ha at one meet these 3 girls asked to start at 4 ft!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was insane! ha and 2 of them didnt make it. (the next one getting out at 4'6'') they were really nice so no one wanted to make fun of them but still...thats pretty sad.

I high jump that...and I'm not a High jumper

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:10 pm

vaultgirl1028 wrote:ha at one meet these 3 girls asked to start at 4 ft!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was insane! ha and 2 of them didnt make it. (the next one getting out at 4'6'') they were really nice so no one wanted to make fun of them but still...thats pretty sad.

unless your gripping like 5 feet, i dont see you can even jump that low.. thats like.. vaulting over a hurdle
What have you done today to get better?

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”