No More Early Signing Period

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

No More Early Signing Period

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 am

Huh?? :confused: :confused:

NCAA Division I Track and Field/Cross Country Coaches,

Please be advised that by action of the Collegiate Commissioners Association, the early signing period in the sports of track and field/cross country has been eliminated, effective immediately. As such, prospective student-athletes in these sports will no longer be permitted to sign National Letters of Intent during the early signing period, established as November 14-21, 2007 for the current academic year. Instead, these prospects will only be permitted to sign an NLI from February 6, 2008, to August 1, 2008, which coincides with the signing opportunities currently available for field hockey, soccer and men's water polo.

All other National Letter of Intent policies and provisions related to track and field/cross country remain unchanged. Furthermore, the National Letter of Intent, <http://www.national-letter.org>www.national-letter.org and all other applicable NLI forms and documents will be updated accordingly.

Please contact the National Letter of Intent office if you have any questions.
Birmingham, Alabama 35203-1103
<mailto:tjohnson@sec.org>tjohnson@sec.org
Office: (205) 458-3013
Fax: (205) 458-3031

http://www.national-letter.org/dates/

NOTE: The early signing period in track and field/cross country has been eliminated, effective immediately

Field Hockey, Soccer, Track and Field/Cross Country, Men's Water Polo* February 6, 2008 August 1, 2008

* - These sports do not have an early signing period.
]
Last edited by rainbowgirl28 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am

what is the possible reasoning for this?
Man Up and Jump

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:43 pm

Well that throws some of my options out the window. I heard from someone that it is supposed to "give us more time to form our opinions". thats stupid though, 17 and 18 year old kids can think for themselves. Now the pressure is on to stay healthy till february. Not that staying healthy isn't in the plan, but now the consequences can be REALLY bad if you get hurt. This is pretty ridiculous if you ask me, some football players sign before their senior year even STARTS.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

invert07
PV Nerd

Unread postby invert07 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:22 pm

this is also supposed to give the track coaches a little break from all of recruiting, their season ends in june then they are back out across the country trying to recruit all of these athletes, then the season starts and they get busy with all of that. And i heard it was also to help out the cross country kids seeing how their season is the same time as all of their visits , it just gives everybody alot more time to do things.
sic 'em!!

Today, talent alone is not enough.

-sergey bubka-

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:22 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Well that throws some of my options out the window. I heard from someone that it is supposed to "give us more time to form our opinions". thats stupid though, 17 and 18 year old kids can think for themselves. Now the pressure is on to stay healthy till february. Not that staying healthy isn't in the plan, but now the consequences can be REALLY bad if you get hurt. This is pretty ridiculous if you ask me, some football players sign before their senior year even STARTS.

No, football athletes can not sign until Feb. They may make verbal commitments before then, but these are not binding.

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:22 pm

Trust me when I say, this is not to give kids more time to view their options. When the NCAA does something, it is for their benefit and their benefit only, and anyone caught in the wake is left to drown.

This rule was changed to make create more fairness between large and small schools, in that everyone makes offers at the same time, instead of the more heavily funded schools putting out more offers early because they can.
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:42 pm

In retrospect, having thought about it for a while, i think i like the decision. It gives all vaulters a chance to improve in the indoor season a bit, and more time to take visits. The only real down side(s) i see are the possible risk of injury between november and february, the chance on not improving, and not knowing until february where you are for sure going to school, which puts a little more stress on us. But for my personal situation, i actually kind of prefer it, since im not a 17'+ vaulter yet and indoor gives me a chance to bump up some marks, get to know coaches better, and hopefully get some better scholarship deals.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:25 am

I agree with that comment there! haha
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”