FEET LEFT THE GROUND--IS IT A MISS?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

OLD CATAPOLER
PV Newbie

FEET LEFT THE GROUND--IS IT A MISS?

Unread postby OLD CATAPOLER » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:20 am

I am specifically interested in Missouri high school info but would welcome input about other state h/s rules.
I am interested in "rule" or discussion on changing the current rule concerning a vaulter leaving the ground and not clearing the bar.
Situation:
A vaulter has started the approach, before the plant he aborts the attempt by slowing down then plants the pole in the box and uses it to stop his forward momentum. In doing this his feet leave the ground. At no time does vaulter or pole make contact beyond the vertical plane of the box.
IS THIS A FOUL?
I dont have a rule book with me but I believe the current MSHSAA rule reads something like:
It is a foul if the vaulter leaves the ground in an attempt and fails to clear the crossbar.
This rule has been interpreted to mean the above mentioned situation is a foul.
I know I have heard of discussion of changing the rule to allow for an "aborted" attempt but have not seen it in rule.
Will appreciate any input within Missouri or beyond.

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:52 am

Has to do with the intent of the vaulter, easy call.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:23 pm

"if the vaulter leaves the ground in an attempt"

This to me suggests that if he leaves the ground while aborting a jump, it is not a foul. I would say that if the take off is strong enough to suggest effort in the jump, and they leave the ground, its a foul. If they show signs such as collapsed arms, straight legs, and no jumping off the ground; simply leaving the ground as a result of access speed, it is not a foul.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

WillinghamPV
PV Fan
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Unread postby WillinghamPV » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:56 pm

in Missouri if both feet leave the ground it is counted as a scratch

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

feet

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:44 pm

It has changed a lot over the years. In Tennessee high school it is a miss if both feet come off the ground. However, the AAU rules allow the athlete to come back on the runway without considering it a miss!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:55 pm

WillinghamPV wrote:in Missouri if both feet leave the ground it is counted as a scratch

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all states follow the rules of the NFHS? I can understand how there could be a difference of opinion but has MO decided how this rule must be interpreted and forced it on all schools? This question has been around for several years. I don't understand why NFHS doesn't write a clarification ruling.

When I run the vault (in Oregon), the situation described in the original post would not be considered a foul.

- master

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:27 pm

there are two differnt rule books USATF and HIGH SCHOOL FEDERATION

main difference....usatf u have to cross the plane for a miss and high school its if ur feet leave the ground and you can bring the standards up to 40 in usatf and only 45 in high school
pain is only temporary victory is forever

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Old Catapoler is correct about what the rule book actually states. It's completely a judgement call and should not (if the judge understands the rules) be considered an attempt.

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:20 pm

In Montana it is not an attempt, we clarified/changed that rule last season. Why do states have different referees (such as Montana Officials Association) if we follow the same rules? I think our rules are based on the NFHS rules, but not exactly the same.
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:14 pm

Some states use the NFHS rule book like my state and others have their own rule book in addition to the NFHS. I would not count that as a miss but it is a judgement call. I personally think USATF, NFHS, NCAA, AAU should all be the same. :crying:

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:42 pm

All the official organizations should get together and make an effort to make the rules the same. Leaving the ground in an "attempt" to vault and getting lifted off the ground in an abort situation can be a tough call sometimes, most of the time it's pretty clear the vaulter has slowed down and has doubts. Different officials and different enforcement. I hope your athlete didn't get a bum call, it does seem to be a big part of this event.
compete and jump safe, have fun

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:45 pm

where i vault if we even plant the pole it is counted as a miss and i thought you could do that, even if you dont break the plane i just sometimes get frustrated
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”