Why the complaints with tape on the runway?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:01 pm

Agree that a tape measure should be taped down alongside the runway from before warmups begin until the end of the last competition.

Still, just knowing where your starting mark is in feet and inches doesn't work for everyone. All of my vaulters, and most elite vaulters I know, use a check mark or speed mark to visually steer to out of the back of their run. This helps promote consistency out of the back and helps prevent overrunning, which leads to more consistent mids and takeoff points. If you can't see your check mark/speed mark, there's no point in having one. In practice we move our marks around a lot to adjust, so we use 1/2 tennis balls alongside the runway - easy to move around and highly visible, like mini-cones. My vaulters are all smart enough to know where to walk to avoid kicking them. In a meet though, other vaulters often kick them either intentionally or unintentionally (as do some officials!) That's why we tape them down at meets - you still get the 3D visual effect, and they stay put.

And while we do measure from the top of the back of the box, honestly, what's the difference between top and bottom - like 1-2 inches??? Shouldn't make that much difference for most vaulters, although I agree consistency is good.

What bugs me is not having the standards zeroed and bar measured prior to WARM UPS! I hate it when they close the runway for warmups and spend 15 minutes just trying to get the standards zeroed and opening height measured. Zero them before warmups and make marks on the ground in line with zero in case the standards aren't bolted down and shift from the pit shifting back. Measure the bar before warmups and if the standard numbers aren't accurate, make pencil marks on them as to where the clamps need to be and the height of the peg you're using. Sure, you can make a quick re-measure after warmups to double-check, but that should take less than a minute if your measuring device is already set up.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

drcurran
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, USAT&F Official, PIAA Official
Lifetime Best: 14'
Favorite Vaulter: Brian Sternberg

Tape . . . .

Unread postby drcurran » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:37 pm

Lonestar -
Could not agree with you more. All adjustments to runway, standards, pit, and so forth should me made before warm ups start. It is really a shame when warm ups are closed and then 20 to 30 min. pass until competition begins. :mad: Just my .02

Dan
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was!
TK

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:04 pm

about the whole tape measure thing, at my school we have a permanent tape measure set down on the run way. its painted on the side of the track. it wears down a little but each year we re measure it to make sure its acurate and redraw the marks so they're clearly visible.
I think this should be a new standard for long jump and pole vault. in the 2 years ive been vaulting i have not seen any other school with this done.(though i do believe that bell athletics has markings on their nway, i dont really remember though)
My coach also has a layer of tires under the pit which raises the pit a little. it actually helps A LOT when putting up the bar. especially at shorter heights. ive also never seen another pit that has this.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:10 pm

I can't see permanent markers on a long jump runway because there are two boards. Not saying it couldn't be done, but since the same runway is also used for the triple jump where I 've seen five to six boards, it could get confusing.

NF already allows for meet managment to place markers at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110 and 120.

If all places did that would those be adequate, or would you also like to see then at every 5 feet rather than every 10 feet?

I've been to only one facility where these markers were permanently along the side of the runway. I still put a tape down out to 130 feet.

robillard
PV Nerd

Unread postby robillard » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:25 pm

Vaultref wrote:I can't see permanent markers on a long jump runway because there are two boards. Not saying it couldn't be done, but since the same runway is also used for the triple jump where I 've seen five to six boards, it could get confusing.

NF already allows for meet managment to place markers at 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110 and 120.

If all places did that would those be adequate, or would you also like to see then at every 5 feet rather than every 10 feet?

I've been to only one facility where these markers were permanently along the side of the runway. I still put a tape down out to 130 feet.

ya i see your point in the long/triple jump.
but for our pv pit we have a number evry ten feet, and x every five and a line every foot so it looks something like
-
-
-
-
x
-
-
-
-
etc. works pretty good for me however you still need speed markers and midmarks for visual aid and stuff.

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:34 pm

A small line every foot is great as well as the X every 5. I like it.
Now just how to get every place to do so is the problem.

efhspolevaulter91
PV Wannabe

Unread postby efhspolevaulter91 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:37 am

at our school they wont let us put tape on the track cuz they dont want people to leave it there and have the track fade around the tape and have a bright line
kick to the sky

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”