Important: Latest News about labels

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Important: All Poles MUST Have Labels

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:00 pm

hardflex wrote:This is a bad rule, written in favor of one pole company over another. The Majority of poles in use in Texas are Altius. If Texas had written the opposite rule, only allowing engraved poles, I would be equally outraged.

None of the manufacturers are happy about it. I heard at Gill pole sales are down, in part because of the economy, and in part because people are going through their poles and finding out they have more than they thought and not buying new ones.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:52 pm

[/quote]

None of the manufacturers are happy about it. I heard at Gill pole sales are down, in part because of the economy, and in part because people are going through their poles and finding out they have more than they thought and not buying new ones.[/quote]

Since Altius has not used labels it dang sure has had a bigger effect on those of us who use their poles.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:25 pm

CowtownPV wrote:
Since Altius has not used labels it dang sure has had a bigger effect on those of us who use their poles.

Altius poles are the most popular poles in Washington State as well, I know it impacts some people more than others. I just want to clear up the perception that a certain manufacturer was trying to convince the NFHS to make this change. No one is happy about this.

CowtownPV
PV Follower
Expertise: HS coach
Favorite Vaulter: Bob

Unread postby CowtownPV » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:37 pm

Well after making sure I had the labels, they don't even check the poles at Texas Relays. All they did was have me sign that my vaulter was equipped according to the rules.
Winners find a way to win, losers find an excuse.

kbkruzer
PV Newbie

Unread postby kbkruzer » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:50 pm

I recently purchased a used Altius ( light blue and white striped ) pole. It had a white label with black numbers on it. The pole is clearly scribed with weight and lenght above the label. I called Altius to see if this was the proper label and he told me it don't matter. I said is that because of the rule interpetation? He said yea. But he also said that it was not the manu. label that it should be red. Well under the white label is a red ring with no numbers on it. Is this what he meant by red or is this just the top hand hold ring? The guy must have been having a bad day because he wasn't very helpful.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:00 pm

The red tape is the top hand hold mark. I would send a self addressed stamped envelope to altius with the length and weight of the pole so they can send you the proper label.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Altius Poles are the reason so many vaulters in Texas have achieved success in their vaulting endeavors. From Texas state championships to national level heights, to district championships all the way down to just a personal record. Paul Richards and now Jeff and Carl Erickson, try to supply a quality athletic tool for high school athletes to achieve their goals. I intend to purchase a few more of these poles this summer, even if I have to deal with Carl! He has lots of free advice to go along with a fair price on poles. And I mean, alot of free advice. The label thing, these guys will get worked out. The free advice and critiquing of your coaching abilities have so far been free of charge, Thanks Carl. Brian Elmore
compete and jump safe, have fun

gtc
PV Whiz

Unread postby gtc » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:19 pm

God love him!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Important: Latest News about labels

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:52 pm

In a shocking move, the NFHS has decided that older Altius poles do not need the weight labels, their 3/4" engravings met the intent of the rules.

http://www.wiaa.com/Athletics/Track/NFH ... e7_5_3.pdf

Memorandum

To: State Association Executive Officers and Track & Field Administrators
Subject: NFHS Track & Field Rule 7-5-3, NOTE 1 – Pole Weight Rating
Date: April 17, 2009

The NFHS Track and Field Rules Committee included a new Note 1, in the 2009 Rules Book, which emphasizes the required
manufacturer’s marking of the weight rating for an individual pole cannot be replaced by “etchings, serial numbers, etc.” Rule 7-
5-3 states, “The manufacturers must include on each pole: the pole rating that shall be a minimum of ¾ inch in a contrasting
color, located within or above the top handhold position.”

The language of the Note addresses various methods by which manufacturers may identify the characteristics of an individual
pole. Traditionally, the characteristics of a pole were etched on the pole. These etchings were generally not ¾ in size and may or
may not have been in a contrasting color to the pole or placed in a position on the pole in or above the manufacturer’s legal
handhold 1-inch circular band. The Note emphasizes the importance of the weight rating appearing on the pole as required in
Rule 7-5-3.

The NFHS has been contacted by the manufacturer of Altius Poles, bringing to our attention that prior to 2006, the official
manufacturer’s placement of the pole weight rating for Altius poles was to engrave the pole rating ¾ inch in height and of a
contrasting color. A label or other similar process was not used by the manufacturer in addition to the engraved pole
characteristics and weight rating. Altius poles manufactured from 2006 to the present now use a labeling system, in addition to
etchings.

With the inclusion of Note 1, the earlier models of the Altius poles have come into question of legality due to the manufacturer’s
method of engraving the weight rating in ¾ inch contrasting color.

Attached for your files is correspondence from Mr. Jeff Erickson, primary owner or Altius Poles, confirming the manufacturer’s
process for placing the official pole weight rating on poles manufactured prior to 2006. Although this has not been as common of
a process, Altius was placing, using this method, a ¾ inch contrasting color weight rating on the individual pole.

Based on this information from the official representative of Altius Poles, it is the position of the NFHS that your state may accept
these earlier model poles as legal using the engraving, providing the manufacturer’s marking meets the requirements of Rule 7-5-3
and all other requirements for a legal pole are met.

Representatives of Altius Poles and the NFHS will continue to work together on this matter, should further attention be necessary
for future seasons.

BO/af
Attachment
Cc: Robert Kanaby, NFHS
Bob Gardner, NFHS
Jeff Erickson, Altius Poles
NFHS Track & Field Rules Committee

Mailing Address: PO Box 690 | Indianapolis, Indiana 46206 | Phone: 317-972-6900 | Fax: 317.822.5700 | www.nfhs.org
Shipping Address: NFHS Distribution Center | 1802 Alonzo Watford Sr. Drive | Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
Take Part. Get Set For Life.™

Altius Poles
P.O box 1168
Jacksonville TX. 75766
Toll Free (800) 374-7653
Fax (903) 586-0198
Cell (903) 279-6810
Altiuspoles@yahoo.com

TO ALL IT MAY CONCERN:
Altius poles do comply with the NFHS rules:
Prior to 2006 all Altius Poles had the size engraved ¾” tall in a contrasting color.
The Engraved portion of the weight indicator was ¾” tall engraved and inked in to provide a
contrasting image to view! This indicator was located near the top of every pole 4-5 inches down in
the non-hand grip area of the pole. Most all pole hand grip area’s are defined in the industry as a 12”
area that starts 3-6” down on a pole, positioned and placed by the manufacturer.
After 2006 all poles have a weight label in addition to the above engraved etchings to fully comply
with any NFHS interpretations.

Owner
Jeff Erickson

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:08 am

Vaultref wrote:Mr hardflex... if that is what they (The NF) told you then you better get that in writing as that is not what they told all the state interpreters who attended their January meeting. That disturbs me.

I've read the new rule, I listened to what our state interpreter said that has to be done in person and in his state wide issued document.
It's clear to me... your pole must have a label and if it does not, return the pole for re-certification and it will
get a label..

I've seen these Altius poles over the years, every one required the coach or official to put a homemade label using the technique explained to us years ago. We've terminated that practice as of this year because the NF has official stated to the interpreters to stop hand labeling poles. That was never communicated to officials in any formal manor until this year. Those days are over.
Etchings alone are no longer sufficient, especially those pencil thin Altius etchings that are not or were not at least 0.75 inches in a contrasting color .. that is in the rule now. Haven't seen any recently, so maybe they changed. I'd have to see each pole on a case by case basis before I determine it's legality.

The last thing an official wants to do is to disqualify a pole from competition, but your 25 cent label issue could easily become a 2.5 million dollar law suit should some athlete get hurt on your watch as the slick lawyers start nit pick the poor official to death for not enforcing the rule despite the fact that the problem was caused by arrogance and stupidty of the athlete or coach for using a pole not legal per NF rules.

I'm not going to lose my house because some coach didn't check his pole inventory is 100% NFHS legal. I as an official shouldn't even be in the loop, but we are and that's why some of us take a hard line on this issue.

There's a pending lawsuit going on right now in a sectional area near me. They are not allowed to discuss the case at the moment, but every one and everyone's uncle involved with that meet are being dragged into court and being sued for some unspecified amount because of a vaulters injury. If they show that pole was illegal for that vaulter, that official better have some insurance as he's toast. I speak for a whole lot of other officials, "that ain't gonna happen to me".

Welcome to New York - birthplace of the frivolous lawsuit. Yet another reason to live in Texas.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

hardflex
PV Whiz

Unread postby hardflex » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:04 am

The clarification is a relief, it's satisfying to know that the right thing was done here.

In my opinion, the badly written rule is what would put officials in legal vulnerability. This removes it.

I had a conversation with an insider who said this all stems from sometimes contradictory labels created when the flex charts were changed... ie engraved or molded in label one rating one weight and stick on label weighted another, and only those poles were to be declared illegal. Somehow the original purpose was lost in the execution.

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 am

It's too bad we can't "dumb things down" enough for the NFHS to understand that weight rating and hand grip rules will not help to prevent accidents or contribute to safety.

Yesterday, I demonstrated a drill on a 12'4 154. I weigh 170. Was the pole in danger of breaking? No...1) Because I was gripping a foot down which makes the pole relatively a 174 and 2) Because I was only jogging in from 6 steps/3 lefts.

Every pole I've ever broken, all 5, were 10-30lbs OVER my body weight. I also once sailed over the back of a short pit in high school on a pole 20lbs OVER my body weight.

2 SOLUTIONS THAT WILL WORK:

1) Pass a rule that controls pole speed and requires the athletes to land inside of the PLZ (Preferred Landing Zone or "Coach's Box)...you know, that square box printed on top of all new pits and which takes about 5 minutes to spray paint onto older pits. Land outside of it 3 times in a meet and you're dq'ed for your own good. Sucks to be you if it happens, but it will get you and your coach focused in practice on grip and pole size to facilitate safe landings in the middle of the pit.

Jump on any pole you like - bamboo, steel, fiberglass, any weight rating, any length, provided you land in the middle of the pit.

I've rarely seen anyone get injured breaking poles anyway, aside from a broken hand or two and some bruises/scrapes from shrapnel hitting them. I've seen LOTS of athletes seriously injured from using a pole at their weight that was TOO BIG for them and landing in the box or rejected back onto the runway.

2) MANDATORY COACHING CERTIFICATION is the second (maybe should be the first?) priority in keeping kids safe. Write a curriculum (such as Jan Johnson's PVSCB course), get the NFHS to approve it and then each state association, train a handful of knowledgeable club/college coaches in each state to hold certification courses throughout the year, and every school MUST have a certified coach present at all practices and meets in order to be eligible to offer the pole vault. I for one would offer to teach the course for FREE just to help prevent the multitude of unsafe jumping at Middle and High School Meets I witness every week. If instructors needed to be paid, charge a nominal fee to each school, or better yet, let the State Association pay for it out of their budget. The cost would be much more reasonable than that of a lawsuit levied when a kid gets hurt.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”