Step Competition

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

What step do you compete at?

29%
34%
17%
5%
3%
what is a step?
10%

Total votes: 58

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:30 pm

Skyin' Brian wrote:uhh, the other day i jumped a 19 feet from 8 strides(4 lefts)
....it was a bungy though
.....and i think it may only have been at 16
....and it was sagging
.....and i may have touched it a little...actually quite a bit....but if it was a bar it would have stayed on....probably

LOL you sound like half the high schoolers I talk to :P

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:16 pm

i read an article on bell's website about derek miles going 13'6 off of 1 left. Thats insane.
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:26 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:i read an article on bell's website about derek miles going 13'6 off of 1 left. Thats insane.

If you are who I think you are, you have the tools to jump very high as well. Only a few adjustments from 18ft. :yes: I was really impressed watching you jump during the two indoor meets in Blacksburg, that I brought Chase to last year.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:30 pm

i would have to see a movie of someone doin that 13 6 jump from 1 left in order to believe that. it is impossible. (or so it seems to me)

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

2 step

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:30 pm

I have SEEN it! I have seen from 1 left...2 steps...13'6"!!! :eek: :yes:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:51 pm

im curious as to where you saw it. i dont suppose from a video that i could watch on the net by any chance??

Erica
PV Whiz
Expertise: Olympian

Unread postby Erica » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:41 am

I doubt there would be any video of Derek's 1 step vaults unless they are on the video camera at Earl's. If you have ever see Derek up close, you would realize he really is capable of that. He is a big guy with long levers, and a very talented vaulter. I have seen him jump 13'6" from 1 step personally several times.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Derek

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:23 am

We were at Earl's for a camp and Derek jumped in between sessions. That's when we saw it! :D
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;

he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,

he enables me to go on the heights.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:21 am

Carolina Extreme wrote:
VTechVaulter wrote:i read an article on bell's website about derek miles going 13'6 off of 1 left. Thats insane.

If you are who I think you are, you have the tools to jump very high as well. Only a few adjustments from 18ft. :yes: I was really impressed watching you jump during the two indoor meets in Blacksburg, that I brought Chase to last year.

i think i might be who you think i am. Those two meets in blacksburg were two of my best meets of the year. helps when your not tryin to get stomped by a high schooler . Plus i got hurt the meet following the second VT meet, my hip was so messed up i couldn't run right all of outdoors. Then they made me take 3 months rest. But at least im healthy again. Anyway, tell chase i said good luck down in arkansas
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:56 pm

VTechVaulter wrote:... helps when your not tryin to get stomped by a high schooler...

LOL Everybody needs some motivation. :mad: You got him back at the second meet when you guys swapped places. Chase's motivation was to out jump all of you college guys.

I've got to tell you, everyone at each of the VTech meets were very supportive of Chase being there, and that means a lot. :yes: We were at an indoor meet in Landover 3 yrs ago and everyone was real supportive... at first. It was an early Dec meet. Chase was looking great in warmups but was hesitant to let anyone know he was in HS. He was concerned they wouldn't accept him being there. One of the vaulters asked him what year he was and trying to sidestep the question he just said "sophomore". Then the guy asked what school and Chase tried to play it down again and said "BC". The guy said "Boston College" and Chase finally said "Brookland Cayce HS, I'm 15". The guy turned around and walked off and didn't say another word to Chase all day. Most of the others snubbed him as well. Some coaches complained :devil: to the host school because Chase made their vaulters look bad, so they would not let Chase jump at the next meet there in early January. What a shame :no:.

Chase ended up finishing 2nd that day behind David "Spencer" Stephens of SC State.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:07 pm

That's sad though...that just because he's younger that he's treated that way... but then again, technically even I would be very jealous of him...

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:43 pm

In the early 80's when it was not unheard of for 17' to finish 5th in high school invitational meets, those guys were not particularly popular with the older vaulters either. It may make you feel better to know Jenkins, Buckingham, Volz, Dial, Duplantis all have described similar experiences when they were coming up.

Barto

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”