Rules for passing heights

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri May 12, 2006 1:59 am

Brian,

I think that with USATF rules you don't get any run throughs.

Wilson

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Fri May 12, 2006 4:31 am

belmore wrote:Vaultref, check me on this one if I'm wrong, high school rules allow one run through after three passes but the vaulter must enter the competition at that bar. The vaulter can never save up run through and that carries over to USATF rules, although the vaulter can pass 3 bars have a run through then pass three more and have another run through.

I thought I remember reading something to that effect for HS. that is you have to take the run thru after each three bars you can not stcok pile them.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 12, 2006 1:28 pm

Here is what I have found online at the
National Pole Vault Coaches Association website.
Section 5 Pole Vault
ART. 15… A competitor who has passed three consecutive heights after competition has begun may be permitted one warm-up jump without the crossbar in place, but shall enter the competition at that height. Such warm-up must be taken at a height change.

Hopefully this will make it so everyone can read the rule and then make their interpretation of it.

- master

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon May 15, 2006 9:44 pm

Belmore: basically you have it right.
two items: a warm-up jump "MAY" be permitted. By rule, the official does not have to grant any warm-up request. There are conditions where it doesn't make sense. Such as you have a few jumpers at the lower heights, they moved up to the third height in rapid fashion. Those now coming in might have only been sitting for less than 20 or even 30 minutes. Warm-up denied in those cases.

second item: I hope NF vaulters don't think that they can get more than one warm-up because they might have passed six heights. Sorry, it's three heights then enter competition. If you want to pass three more heights after making a jump, you "may" get another warm-up. I wouldn't count on it. No code permits accumulating warm-up attempts.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon May 15, 2006 10:03 pm

vaultmd wrote:Brian,

I think that with USATF rules you don't get any run throughs.

Wilson

Depends... Open rules, vs Masters rules vs Youth rules.
Open - NEVER
Masters/Youth - just like the NF rule.

Might as well add IAAF to the bucket.. Warm-up jumps NEVER allowed

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Mon May 15, 2006 11:16 pm

My interpretation is in accord with Vaultref. I think that a hs vaulter only gets one runthrough/warmup/whatever w/o the bar at the change of the bar if they have passed 3 consecutive heights. It is the official's discretion: it is not given as a matter of right. I tell my vaulters to politely request a runthrough when the bar is a height or two below where they intend to enter. My interpretation is that you should only get one per meet - when the bar is moving up to your opening height.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Tue May 16, 2006 9:25 pm

USATF rules allows a run through for youth vaulters after three passes, I usually allow the old guys (masters) a run through after three because I respect my elders and it takes along time to get some of them down the runway. I am not referring to Bob Crites, Marc Hearns or Steve "the Colonel" Warr when I am talking about old slow pole vaulters by the way. I guess I could be talking about Larry McIntyre though, he is slow. And old. Good thing Wilson aint jumping here in Texas, I could talk about him too. One thing old vaulters and young vaulters share though, they can all sure be whiney, especially Bob Crites. I don't know if Wilson is still competing, he was kinda good for an old guy, but I will always work those masters meets to watch these "youngsters" jump. It really makes you appreciate track and field and the fact that it sticks with you for life. So I will allow old guys a run through after three, heck, I owe em.
compete and jump safe, have fun

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Wed May 17, 2006 10:04 am

Darn! And I thought all these years I was getting the run throughs with beer bribes . . .

I'm entered at Vaultstock . . .

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed May 17, 2006 2:29 pm

vaultmd wrote:I'm entered at Vaultstock . . .

That's great. It must mean you feel better about your physical condition than when I met you at Reno.

- master

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Wed May 17, 2006 9:54 pm

Shh, Wilson, keep the bribes on the lowdown.
compete and jump safe, have fun

science geek
PV Whiz
Expertise: HS Coach, occasional beginning vaulter
Lifetime Best: 9' 6
Favorite Vaulter: Crash

Unread postby science geek » Fri May 26, 2006 1:56 pm

Here is an interesting situation that occurred at a meet earlier this season. Vaulter passes enough heights to get a run through and takes the run through. Then the official realizes that he missed a vaulter and lowers the bar to let the last athlete attempt at the previous height. I was wondering if the vaulter who passed all the heights should be elligable for another runthrough due to the officials error? Just curious what others think.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Sun May 28, 2006 9:17 pm

science geek wrote:... and lowers the bar to let the last athlete attempt at the previous height. I was wondering if the vaulter who passed all the heights should be elligable for another runthrough due to the officials error? Just curious what others think.

No, error or not it would not be correct to allow another "run-through". It's unfortunate this occurred, but it does from time to time. This is the one time I have no problems for a vaulter to yell down to me that he still has an attempt remaining.

All the more reason to have a second and independent recorder at an event. More importantly though is to check and double check your paper work when you think you are at the end of a height.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”