New NFHS Rule

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

RoosterPV25
PV Fan
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Aspiring Elite Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40

Unread postby RoosterPV25 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:56 am

AVC Coach wrote:Most absurd rule I've ever seen. Why all of the other rules to increase safety if they're going to come up with something as dangerous as this?

I completely agree, also you might have a kid who gets rejected and lands on the runway and now you are letting him/her get back on the runway after they are a little tired and do it again. At least with college, open, and masters vaulters there is a little more experience to know that maybe you should just take the miss.
PR=5.40 (17' 8.50")

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:57 am

i like it, becuase if i get stood up it is usually due to me not being warmed up enough, if i do miss i always take my second attempt anyway and usually clear the bar, plus now that the rule is changed it isn't as much pressure to do perfect the first time, that is just me though.
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:30 pm

Glory wrote:i think this is a good rule is used correctly...the time period given is difficult to get back to if you come up short on the vault approach...i am a senior in college and the rule just started this last season and i saw it used a few times but not many. it worked out in favor of the vaulter like 1 out of 10 times used...if you know your not going to make it on the first try then try to sprint back and correct it..your tired and mentally out of it already...so lets all just go with the flow and everything will be normal

It is very rare to see a high school meet where the official has a stopwatch on the kids though.

I might actually start using one, just to keep kids from abusing this rule.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:33 pm

txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:i like it, becuase if i get stood up it is usually due to me not being warmed up enough, if i do miss i always take my second attempt anyway and usually clear the bar, plus now that the rule is changed it isn't as much pressure to do perfect the first time, that is just me though.

For that same reason, i hate it. Its a vaulters responsibility to be warmed up and ready to jump, and when i am behind a vaulter in a rotation and i see him get stood up, my immediate thought is "good now i can take the lead, its his fault for not being ready". Now its going to be "oh now i get to wait for this fool to do it again, just because he landed on the front bun." And im sorry i dont know you, but if you are happy with this rule because it takes the pressure off of the vault because you dont have to get it right the first time, maybe you should try ping pong or tennis because i think you can try to serve more than once with those games.

It is NOT a faulty run when you get stood up, because obviously it wasnt too bad of a run for you to still plant it. If its THAT off, then slow down after your mid and dont leave the ground. Its just stupid, and giving leway to dangerous jumpers. I just hate the possible idea that someone can swing on a pole, realize they are about to land on the front bun, and STILL get another shot. I dont understand this reasoning, maybe someone can explain it to me. THe only thing i can come up with is that they are trying to be consistent with the rules in other events like high jump, but not likely.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:42 pm

AVC Coach wrote:What arbitrary call are you talking about? It WAS easy to make a call on whether or not a kid left the ground in an actual attempt to make the bar.
The problem was always what constituted "leaving the ground". I've seen this situation several times. During the approach run the vaulter changes his mind and tried to stop by putting the pole tip in the box. He held on to the pole and turned almost completely backwards on the runway while stopping, but his feet went into the air by 8-12" so it was called a failed attempt. The part about "in an attempt" wasn't usually considered. Even if it is, that is a very subjective call for an official.

- master

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:47 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:It is very rare to see a high school meet where the official has a stopwatch on the kids though.

I might actually start using one, just to keep kids from abusing this rule.

I agree, it is very rare, but I use one when I officiate.

Like many aspects of the vault and of competition, this "issue" can be controlled with proper coaching and officiating.

- master

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:58 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:Now its going to be "oh now i get to wait for this fool to do it again, just because he landed on the front bun."

That shouldn't be a problem. You won't have to wait any longer than you could have been required to wait before this rule change. The vaulter still only has the same amount of time to get the vault approach run initiated.

Perhaps it would be useful for anyone in the other vaulting age groups or categories that have used this rule to comment on the reasons for the rule.

- master

WillinghamPV
PV Fan
Expertise: Current College Vaulter

Unread postby WillinghamPV » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:56 pm

I don't like this rule, ESPECIALLY for the high school level, because now some jackass will try to swing up on the pole when they shouldn't because they know if they don't make it, they will get another shot. This is a horrible rule to implement for high school, and I can see a lot of kids who don't have proper coaching getting hurt as a result.

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:43 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:
txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:i like it, becuase if i get stood up it is usually due to me not being warmed up enough, if i do miss i always take my second attempt anyway and usually clear the bar, plus now that the rule is changed it isn't as much pressure to do perfect the first time, that is just me though.

For that same reason, i hate it. Its a vaulters responsibility to be warmed up and ready to jump, and when i am behind a vaulter in a rotation and i see him get stood up, my immediate thought is "good now i can take the lead, its his fault for not being ready". Now its going to be "oh now i get to wait for this fool to do it again, just because he landed on the front bun." And im sorry i dont know you, but if you are happy with this rule because it takes the pressure off of the vault because you dont have to get it right the first time, maybe you should try ping pong or tennis because i think you can try to serve more than once with those games.

It is NOT a faulty run when you get stood up, because obviously it wasnt too bad of a run for you to still plant it. If its THAT off, then slow down after your mid and dont leave the ground. Its just stupid, and giving leway to dangerous jumpers. I just hate the possible idea that someone can swing on a pole, realize they are about to land on the front bun, and STILL get another shot. I dont understand this reasoning, maybe someone can explain it to me. THe only thing i can come up with is that they are trying to be consistent with the rules in other events like high jump, but not likely.

so are you saying you are perfect and you never mess up? what i am saying is if i realize something is going wrong after i plant i can bail onto the front bun instead of thinking "maybe i can pull this jump off still and risk possible injury"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:19 pm

When did i say i never messed up? Im simply saying if i do mess up, its called A MISS and i get to wait another round to try again. Once you start a jump there shouldnt be turning back to try again. 9 times out of 10 you wont get it right the second time either, ESPECIALLY if you have already gone in the air. Your legs will need to recover slightly, but more importantly you will no longer be mentally prepared to clear the bar if you already went up. Im just saying that once you leave the ground, it cannot be argued that it is game time and you better know what you are doing, otherwise its a miss.

what i am saying is if i realize something is going wrong after i plant i can bail onto the front bun instead of thinking "maybe i can pull this jump off still and risk possible injury"

95%+ of the what happens in the air starts on the ground. A good vaulter can tell whether their step is on or not by the last 3 or 4 steps. You say its safer because now you can bail once in the air, i say its less safe because now all vaulters will be tempted to take the jump, since there are no consequences if you break the plane.
Simply put, Old rules: you wouldnt leave the ground unless you felt you could make a good jump, otherwise its a foul. Thats safe.
New Rules: You are allowed to finish jumps and land anywhere as long as its behind the plane, with no penalty. Thats not safe.

Im just ranting because i think its gonna be annoying to see a bunch of kids take jumps, get rejected, and jump again. Plus i dont want to see any vaulters get hurt by some pointless rule :( .
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:36 pm

i usually make it on my second attempt though that is why i like the rule, that is why in my original post i finished it with "that is just me", i agree, it is all about skill, and if it is a very unexperienced vaulter yeah it is a bad thing, but when you know how to fall being a good or bad thing it will help you out. I guess it has its positives and negatives, it is all about how you look at it.

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:55 am

I'm with vault3rb0y on this one. IMHO, the rule should state, that if you make any attempt at a jump, any at all, it is considered a miss. Having someone run back down the runway to turn around and do it all over again is a bad idea. This new rule should be changed back to where if you leave the ground, or touch the pit at all, it is a miss. but that is just me...
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”