Starting height in meets?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:54 am

lonestar wrote:What is that progression that Earl has on his chalkboard on the last day of camps in the PR Meet? Anyone remember?

I think it's
-2', -1'6", -1', -6", -2", +1", +3"
but I could be wrong.

Pole vault noobie
PV Newbie

Unread postby Pole vault noobie » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:15 pm

i Know for my high school they start the jumps at 8ft or 8 1/2

ec1vaulter
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach (All Levels)
Lifetime Best: 4.73

Unread postby ec1vaulter » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:46 am

I use a bit more complex way to determine starting heights, but it seems to have worked out well since I started using it. During practice I determine a range of jumps it takes my vaulters to jump their best heights (usually 9-12) Based on this I have a progression set for each on meet day that we follow... always good to have a game plan. They each have 2 or 3 jumps in warm-up and the goal is to have the best 3 jumps after a slight P.R. jump. This leaves about 6 jumps between. A normal meet would be set up like this:

Warm-up ..... 2
RunThrough ..... 1
4.75 ..... 1
4.85 ..... 1
4.95 ..... 1
5.05 ..... 1
5.15 ..... 1-2
5.25 ..... 3

Assuming that the progression allows for good attempts at each height this will result in 11 or 12 jumps for the day with the determined best jumps for the vaulter coming at the end of the meet. In the example 5.15 would be a P.R. of 2-3cm and 5.25 would be for an exceptional day when you can really jack the bar up. If you don't make a P.R. jump you will be jumping 10 times and still within the 9-12 range for a peak jump.

Obviously this is something that varies from one athlete to another and it takes most of indoor to determine what the BEST range is for an athlete in competition.
What did you do to get better today?

TheBigMastodon
PV Nerd

Unread postby TheBigMastodon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:49 am

I come in at 7'6''. I usually get at least 12''. Yeah Its stupid, but we dont have anywhere to practice so I gotta use these indoor meets to practice when I can.
First year of track and field.

PR - 13'

Hit me up on AIM!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”