6 jump rule???

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:13 pm

It's an NJ thing. I'm not sure if other states do it. We have it at the early meets of the season, and only at relay meets where you and your partner's jump are combined. It's to make sure the meet runs smoothly and pole vault doesn't take all day. :crying: It is so the vault is more of a partner thing instead of individual.

You can't come in too low or you will waste your six jumps, but if you come in too high you might no-height :eek:

It stinks because what if you clear your first two heights on third attempts? you are done.
"Let's launch over it!"

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:04 pm

I seriously doubt that a pole vaulter thought up the 6 jump format. It must have been some AD or administrator. I agree it's stupid.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

PvRowSwim
PV Nerd

Unread postby PvRowSwim » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:06 pm

GirlPoleVaulter87

Great Job at Penn! I saw your first jumps very nice! Congratulations on winning!
"When life hands you a lemon, say "O Yeah!, I like lemons, what else ya got?"

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Sun May 01, 2005 6:55 am

Anyone ever been to a meet where it was 3 alive? As in, you have a total of 3 misses alowed for the entire competition. Man that sucked... I've only ever been to one and they changed it up the next year to a normal competition.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 01, 2005 8:09 am

USMC Vaulter wrote:Anyone ever been to a meet where it was 3 alive? As in, you have a total of 3 misses alowed for the entire competition. Man that sucked... I've only ever been to one and they changed it up the next year to a normal competition.

When I was at UF, they had an intramural track meet (no pole vault), and that's how they ran the high jump.

At CMSU they always run 3-alive (referring to the number of people up at one time, not misses), which is really not bad.

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Sun May 01, 2005 10:47 am

PvRowSwim wrote:GirlPoleVaulter87

Great Job at Penn! I saw your first jumps very nice! Congratulations on winning!

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Let's launch over it!"

LancerVaulter07
PV Pro

Unread postby LancerVaulter07 » Sun May 01, 2005 1:24 pm

yeah i had never heard of either 5alive or the 6 jump rule
before. it sounds like a dumb rule because it really restricts
the way you jump. anyway, girlpolevaulter87 congrats on
your victory at the penn relays! i was just looking up the
results and i see 12'4 - very impressive, you got me beat.
keep flyin high.
"Just Fly"

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri May 06, 2005 12:27 pm

Regardless of whether anyone likes it or not. Lancer vaulter has to deal with the rules for his event tomorrow. If you can do 10'6" in your sleep then start there. Keep in mind, everyone is dealing with the same rules as you are as to six jumps. If your best this year is 11' then I'd try to focus on making that your "must make" height. I'd do what you have to to leave your last three jumps begin at that height. If the weather is crappy, you might need those three jumps for your "normal" top height. Make that for sure. That's what the team and the coach is counting on. Anything past that is gravy. Look at it this way, third jump) at your normal 11' make. 4th jump)2 trys available at a new pr 11'6"....have it go right, make first attempt, leaves you one attempt at 12'. miss. SO WHAT...you still have a new pr at 11'6" and maybe more points for the team. OR, make 12' and get new pr by 1 foot... that's not a bad days work at all. Now where are you going to start. Once again, if the weather is crappy start at 9'6" or 10"....whatever just make a height so you don't NH. If you make 9'6" VERY comfortably, then buy at 10' or 10'6" and have 4 attempts beginning at 10'6" or 11'. Key thing is if the weather is going to play a factor and you buy through the heights to leave all attempts at 11 or better, the event could be stopped because of weather and that guy that made 8' will beat you because you've done a NH for the day. This type of meet you want to concentrate on the team part of it more so than your pr point of it. It just adds a different twist to the competition but have fun with it and plan for it and go into it with the right frame of mind and you'll have a good day of competing and vaulting. Later.........Mike

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 06, 2005 1:44 pm

I agree with BritDawg who said:

You could realistically 1st attempt 10'6, 11' and 11'6 and then still have 3 at 12'.

If you are jumping great, you get your chances at 12'. If you are jumping good, you get your chances at the 11'6" PR.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri May 06, 2005 3:34 pm

Weather is the key. If it's crummy then get a make at any height you can, shoot...6' if it looks like the event will be called at 7'. Now if the weather looks like it's going to hold and you are absolutely sure you can clear 10"6" then start there. I'm guessing that in a meet of this nature that 3 misses at a height is still a "you're out deal" so don't find your self with 3 jumps left and you are out of the competition. Later..........Mike

MadeinTaiwan
PV Wannabe

Unread postby MadeinTaiwan » Sat May 07, 2005 4:27 am

I have done 6 jumps before. But i think we did it a diffrent way.
The way they did it when I jumped is that your allowed 6 misses, umless of course you miss three time at the same height height, than your out. Otherwise its just like any other comp but for example if you miss your opening height twice, your second height twice then you will only have 2 attempts at your next heght.

Anyway thats they way I did it when i competed I dont know if it will be the same for you.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

6jumps

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun May 08, 2005 1:06 pm

We use a 6 jump format in the summer program. Each Fri we have a meet with a bar and officials. Each athlete has 6 jumps that they can use at any height they want to. The goal is to PR. Hence PR Fridays. The intent is to make the athlete THINK about strategies during the meet and not just jump without being engaged!! Three straight misses and you are out! Usually we start one or two heights below their PR and go after it!!

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”