Official Visits

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

C-townvault
PV Whiz

Official Visits

Unread postby C-townvault » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:43 pm

I've recently committed to an official visit. My dad wants to know what exactly is an official visit, why should i take one, and he also thinks that the NCAA would not allow a prospective student athlete visit on their own. I wanted to clarify all this for him by people who have went through this experience and college coaches that set up these visits.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Peepers PV
PV Pro

Unread postby Peepers PV » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:34 am

i'm interested in this info also.

thanks guys!
"look, you either join the team and go to practice or do drugs- that's just how it is! it's track or crack!" - mikey

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:47 am

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/cbsa/di ... iting.html

so basically if the school pays for any part of your visit, it is "official"
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:30 pm

They can pay for everything for you, food, lodging, etc, so long as you do not accept any tangible thing from there, especially with there school name on it. They are a lot of fun, and you can learn a lot on them. Take advantage of the oppurtunity. They will show you around the school, have you meet the team, talk to advisors etc. Enjoy.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

GirlPoleVaulter87
PV Whiz

official visit

Unread postby GirlPoleVaulter87 » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:18 pm

Official visits are key because you get to spend time in the area. You will take a tour of the school or sit in on a class which is cool but meeting the poeple and talking to them is really important. Usually questions just come naturally.
Its cool to talk to kids on the team and you need to find out if you can picture yourself living in the place with the people. See how comfortable you are. Also talk to the vault coach and find out if you see yourself having a good relationship with him/her.
:)
"Let's launch over it!"

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

official visits

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:20 pm

Ready??? here are the rules!! Just got a copy two days ago.....here's the overview with some specific dos and don'ts.

an official visit is a visit to a university for which your expenses are paid for. Unofficial visits are visits that you make at your expense. Official visits require extensive documentation validating that you have not been given ANY form of inducement to come the that univeristy. Each kind of inducement is documented and at the end of your visit you will have to sign a document claiming that you or your parents or your spouse were not offered or given any such inducement. You will be assigned a student athlete as a Host. The Host also has to sign a like document.

you are permitted only 5 official visits to DI or DII schools. There is a 30 mile radius that limits the distance you can be taken from the university for the purposes of entertainment. You are not allowed to participate in any physical work-out or recreational activities that involve any sport for which you are being recruited while a coach is present. You may not receive any souvenirs ( T-shirts, etc.) purchased by you student host. Do not have ANY in-person contact either on or off campus with athletics boosters, alumni, or former student-athletes who are not currently enrolled at the time of the official visit.
Official Visits and NCAA Rules

Remember NEVER accept any alcohol, drugs or sexual favors..... :o . They are explicitely spelled out in the documentation.

I hope that helps!!!

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Official visits

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:27 pm

Oops! Typical former athlete, I left out the academic portion.

Coaches are required to schedule an educational component in advance of the prospective student-athlete's official visit and list it on his/her itinery(required to be sent to you and your parents before going). You MUST visit with an academic advisor. In addition, one of the following two procedures mus also occur: 1) tour the facility which houses academic advising and tutorial classes.; 2) Visit with a professor or administrator from that university's academic community, preferable someone from the field of study in which the prospect has interest. These are to be considered MINIMUM guidelines for an official visit. Tours of the campus during which classes are occuring can also be used as a part of the academic experience.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:12 am

In reference to the original question........

The school can only pay for you, the student athlete's travel. Parents must pay for thier own transportation. However, once at the university, the athletic department can pay for your parents lodging and food.

Courts
PV Beginner

Unread postby Courts » Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:25 pm

Make sure you talk to as many athletes on the team and not just your host, because there is a good chance you will be looking for a different experience than your host is. The more people you talk to the better you will know what the school is really like.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

I have a question

Unread postby izzystikchik » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:24 am

Do you have to wait for the coach to invite you on an official visit? Or do you decide when you want one?

Courts
PV Beginner

Unread postby Courts » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:57 pm

A coach has to offer it because they pay for you. You might be able to contact a coach and see if they will give you a visit if they haven't contacted you, but you can't just decide to take an official visit.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”