Pole labels at NIN and NSIC

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

maxiverson
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.85
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Pole labels at NIN and NSIC

Unread postby maxiverson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:50 pm

Does anyone know what rule will be applied at the Nike Indoor Championships and the National Scholastic Indoor Championships concerning the label on the poles? Will an athlete be allowed to grip over the weight label, like the IAAF rule permits? Or will taping over the label be forbidden, as in the High School rule book, I think? We will be coming from Canada and we would like to make sure our poles (which may be gripped over the label) are legal to use.
Thank you very much.
Maxime
Maxime

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pole labels at NIN and NSIC

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 pm

I would contact the meet director and ask what set of rules they are using. I went to Nike Indoor Nationals two years ago and they just made up their own rules about a lot of things, but I think ostensibly they were supposed to be following USATF Youth rules.

maxiverson
PV Beginner

Unread postby maxiverson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks Becca, I'll get back to you when I get answers from the organizers.
Maxime

maxiverson
PV Beginner

Unread postby maxiverson » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:44 am

So, I got the same answer from both organizers. They will use the USATF rule book, in which, if I am not mistaken, there is no mention of any rule concerning the pole labeling. Am I right?
Thank you,
Maxime

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:39 pm

maxiverson wrote:So, I got the same answer from both organizers. They will use the USATF rule book, in which, if I am not mistaken, there is no mention of any rule concerning the pole labeling. Am I right?
Thank you,

There are different sets of USATF rules. They would most likely be using the USATF Youth Rules. I think they can be found online, you may want to read them carefully.

And it doesn't matter what the rules say, the officials might decide to do their own thing *coughNikecough* and good luck trying to get anything done about it.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:26 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:There are different sets of USATF rules. They would most likely be using the USATF Youth Rules. I think they can be found online, you may want to read them carefully.

Link to a 2009 Rules pdf is on this page.
http://www.usatf.org/about/rules/2009/

- master

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:27 pm

The rules of competition are USATF "OPEN" rules, not their youth modifications. The outdoor meet also runs under then same conditions.

That should answer your question regarding labels, taping, etc.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Vaultref wrote:The rules of competition are USATF "OPEN" rules, not their youth modifications. The outdoor meet also runs under then same conditions.

They'll still end up modifying them. USATF Open rules don't allow for any run throughs after the competition starts.

Boomer
PV Fan

Unread postby Boomer » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Has anyone been to this meet, we are also coming from Canada and see there is 76 vaulters.
They are running two flights at 1pm and 4pm.

I am wondering how they fit 38 vauters in over 3 hours, and allow warmups for the vaulters.
I am also wondering how much runway time the girls/guys actually got ?

Thanks !
Kristian Wilson
London Legion Track and Field Alliance
P'R' 5.25m

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:23 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Vaultref wrote:The rules of competition are USATF "OPEN" rules, not their youth modifications. The outdoor meet also runs under then same conditions.

They'll still end up modifying them. USATF Open rules don't allow for any run throughs after the competition starts.

I cannot speak for how the NIN was run when it was in Maryland nor how it will be run in Boston, but I can speak from years of experience on how it will be in the Armory.. The rules will be USATF OPEN and you are correct, there are no run-thru's.

We all know of course that meet management along the the meet Referee can alter things.. However this particular rule to my recollection has not been changed as long as I have been at this meet. This also includes at the Nike outdoor Nationals.

Vaultref
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:50 am

Boomer wrote:Has anyone been to this meet, we are also coming from Canada and see there is 76 vaulters.
They are running two flights at 1pm and 4pm.

I am wondering how they fit 38 vaulters in over 3 hours, and allow warm-ups for the vaulters.
I am also wondering how much runway time the girls/guys actually got ?

Thanks !

First of all, welcome to this meet. Second of all.... leave the snow up there. :D

The Friday event is a qualifier, the event is NOT run to completion. Not all those 76 entered will be required to jump. What I mean by that is some have been automatically passed by meet management to the Saturday finals based
on some previously verified cleared height. You say seventy-six are entered, I'll bet there will also be some scratches by the time Friday rolls around. We officials will move the event along and if you are in the second qualifier you'll get the same amount of warm-up time as the first group did even if it means shifting the start time a little.

This will be a first at this meet... we've never run back-to-back qualifiers for the same event before.
In the past, we would progress through the heights until a meet management defined number of athletes has been reached and then that qualifier is over. I assume we'll do that again, except this time we'll start a second qualifier and progress through the same heights, ending after reaching some meet management "magic" number of athletes.

I can't wait to see the actual ground rules as with two separate events at separate times makes it difficult in my mind as to just how the athletes who qualify for the finals on Saturday will actually be selected. I'm sure "they" have this all worked out, it's just that I don't know what it is yet.

Boomer
PV Fan

Unread postby Boomer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Great, thank you for the information.
Are the athletes able to have access to the run way any time before the event begins, or is it opened only a certain amount of time before?
When you hear more specifics, could you post back as well?
We are very excited to come, will leave the snow on the ground here gladly !!!
Kristian Wilson
London Legion Track and Field Alliance
P'R' 5.25m

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”